Yesterday at the Novi snow show I learned there is a new interactive trail map system being launched, that’s free. Will have real time trail conditions, and from what I understand, us users can actually change a trail status if/when needed. Say we encounter a tree across the trail, we can report it (not 100% sure how yet...)

It is Groomed Trail, currently web based but there is suppose to be an app eventually.

https://www.groomedtrail.com/

Currently only for four states, but more may be added down the road, as well as Ontario. Not sure about the rest of Canada since I didn’t ask.

Hopefully this works as planned, and helps us sled heads out!!!

0B15357F-E95D-4A1C-8ABF-6D44E1420C76.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking like it's shaping up to be a pretty awesome snowmobile season on my neck of the woods. How about yours?

I've already hit the ski hill around here and that was just the middle of November, which is a record for me. This has been a good year all around because I have hit a record for earliest start and latest finish of the season (My last time skiing for the season was April 21st and if I had been available I could have done April 29th). 

• Like 1

GP,

There was a number of schools that were actually closed today as a result of the snow. Though I don’t believe it will stick around.

Nothern Michigan has been getting snow, though not enough has stuck around to have a good base for the opening of the trails this coming Set, Dec 1. We will get there!!!

Some of our ski hills have already opened as well. Maybe a week ago or so. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the sleds are pretty much ready to go. 

Northern Michigan has had some snow, but now a ton.... Forecast shows snow maybe about mid-week, so maybe we can get up there after Christmas.

i do need to work on a different bag set up for my sled still. We (buddies and I) bought season permits for Ontario, and hope to do a couple overnight trips. 

Was planning to work on it today, but it’s been a kind of lazy day after a crazy work week... Then some fun with friends Fri and Sat....

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, SkiDooNick700 said:

Heading to Munising next weekend.   Alger SORV club said just shy of 1000 sleds rode thru this past Saturday.   New record. 

We stayed in Strongs this past w/e.

Sat we rode to Brimley to fuel up (both us and the sleds), then on to Paradise. Then made our way to Newberry, then down to Trout Lk and back to the motel in Strongs. 175 miles total.

Sun morning we rode into Brimley again for fuel, then headed towards Oaradise and rode a few seasonal roads down a ways and back.  Headed back to the truck and we were on the road by about 12:30 to head home. Rode about 60 miles.

Overall a good w/e. But it was very busy in the U.P. 

It’s only the third time riding the U.P., but I did find another one of the infamous bra trees!!! :) It was getting late when we came across it. 

We are probably heading to D13, Ont this w/e. To get into the Soo takes about as long as going to Newberry.

Have a fun trip Nick!!!

35848E0A-32C9-43DF-8931-9C0C3512DB2A.jpeg

Edited by Blue2500CC

54 minutes ago, Blue2500CC said:

We stayed in Strongs this past w/e.

Sat we rode to Brimley to fuel up (both us and the sleds), then on to Paradise. Then made our way to Newberry, then down to Trout Lk and back to the motel in Strongs. 175 miles total.

Sun morning we rode into Brimley again for fuel, then headed towards Oaradise and rode a few seasonal roads down a ways and back.  Headed back to the truck and we were on the road by about 12:30 to head home. Rode about 60 miles.

Overall a good w/e. But it was very busy in the U.P. 

It’s only the third time riding the U.P., but I did find another one of the infamous bra trees!!! :) It was getting late when we came across it. 

We are probably heading to D13, Ont this w/e. To get into the Soo takes about as long as going to Newberry.

Have a fun trip Nick!!!

Haha that is awesome! I remember seeing one of those trees but it must have been like 10 years ago.

Sounds like you guys did some pretty awesome loops, 175 miles in a day is a real good trip!  We haven't ridden the east side of the UP much, mostly because the last few years the snows seem to have been so sketchy.  Always just been going to Munising doing the same East loop and West loop for the last 2 years.  Each year we have been venturing off trail more and more.  I use VVMapping to help out with that. 

• Like 1

Nick,

It was a pretty good w/e!!! Little tiring due to the tougher trails around the falls, but still a good w/e...

That was actually only the third time I have rode the U.P. Most of my riding has been in Ontario. And maybe 400 miles or so around Cadillac.

We just got back from riding in the Soo, Ont area this w/e. Rode another 175 miles on Sat, then just a quick ~30 miles total today to get breakfast before loading up and heading home. Was a pretty brisk ride yesterday, and even a little colder today. Not a ton of snow, but more than enough to ride.

Did see a few Bald Eagles both yesterday and today. Always an awesome sight!!! Wish I could have take a few pics of them.

Looks like this coming w/e may be a break from riding, unless my wife and I end up going somewhere to ride.

71C30241-E085-407B-ABFC-F57D60EB97A8.jpeg

• Like 1

Rolling hills in the powerlines, I love it!  Glad to hear you had a good ride overall despite the rough trails at times.  Unfortunately that just seems to be the way it is since the Lower has like hardly any ridable snow and limited to no grooming.

Looking ahead to this Friday and Saturday it is going to be 2 degrees and 7 degrees for a high respectively.  Looking forward to testing our Klim gear tough that we've bought over the last 3 years lol. Sleds should run great... 2 strokers love that cold air!! 

• Like 1

What a great weekend!  Got up Thursday night, rode Friday and Saturday, ended up leaving Saturday evening because a Winter Storm Warning was starting up at 10pm... didn't want to deal with that on the drive home!  Friday rode up near Grand Marais, but not into town.  Played around in the Kingston Plains for a bit.  Whew, it was DEEP in the plains!  Amazing how much easier my dads Renegade gets around than my shortie MXZ lol.  Saturday we rode 8 west to Little Lake and back.  Shorter ride but it was kind of cold.... -20F in some spots (before any windchills!)  Even Friday was cold but at least it was around 4 - 5 degrees F.  Klim gear kept us warm. Trails were hard and flat!

Pics!

KhMdonz.jpg

Jz3fMs5.jpg

xKL6irw.jpg

jibJsM2.jpg

5ERdIR2.jpg

Edited by SkiDooNick700
  • Like 2

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎20 at 8:28 PM, Blue2500CC said:

Nick,

It was a pretty good w/e!!! Little tiring due to the tougher trails around the falls, but still a good w/e...

That was actually only the third time I have rode the U.P. Most of my riding has been in Ontario. And maybe 400 miles or so around Cadillac.

We just got back from riding in the Soo, Ont area this w/e. Rode another 175 miles on Sat, then just a quick ~30 miles total today to get breakfast before loading up and heading home. Was a pretty brisk ride yesterday, and even a little colder today. Not a ton of snow, but more than enough to ride.

Did see a few Bald Eagles both yesterday and today. Always an awesome sight!!! Wish I could have take a few pics of them.

Looks like this coming w/e may be a break from riding, unless my wife and I end up going somewhere to ride.

71C30241-E085-407B-ABFC-F57D60EB97A8.jpeg

Glad you are enjoying Ontario's trails. I worked with OFSC last winter and this fall with one of my excavators clearing trail in Northern Ontario in the Thunder Bay region. We get a lot more snow up here, but colder air temperatures as well. Our trails aren't as well kept as the area you ride in, but we do have a good system and they are finally getting the cash for new groomers and clearing old trails. Been -30c for two weeks straight so I haven't got on my SBA much yet this year. This weekend should be warm enough for me to go on a solo run. Northern Quebec is supposed to have the best trails in Canada, but I have never got to experience them, may be worth looking into if you do a few trips per year. 

Before and after, same section of trail lol

IMG_1270.JPG

IMG_1272.JPG

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...