2005 Savanna 3500 Interior Hood Release Lever Spring and Paint Pealing

Went to open the hood tonight and put some fluid in the washer and it wouldn't release when I went to got pull the interior lever by the left kick plate I found the lever hadn't even returned to it's flush position. Come to find a small spring hanging off the lever. I have no idea where to put it back to or if it's broken or how to change the entire lever assembly if necessary.

Any ideas anyone?

I did end up getting the hood to open by pulling it a little more and banging the hood which is a different problem (probably a little oil needed somewhere - that's been happening for a while now) But the spring still has me confused.

Also the paint is pealing of the hood - been happening for about a year now. I heard there may have been a recall on the paint but I'm beyond any warranty now. So I guess it's off to the paint shop for the hood. Summit White anyway so it should be a fairly inexpensive paint job I hope....

Well I fixed it and save me a bundle of dough! I found a lever part number (15751510) about $45 either online or at the dealer - comes as a complete cable assembly - and looks like it might have caused me to pull off the grill and maybe even some other crap. When the sun came out I was able to find that the spring had fallen off the inside lever because the lever's hinge pin, which goes through the center of it to hold it in place, had fallen almost all the way out of the bottom of the hinge. So I yanked off the left trim plate and unbolted the two screws and stuck the hing pin back up through the spring and the hinge. Used a very little jewelers screw driver to pop the end of the spring back in it's slot. All good to go there. Bolted it back up and slapped the trim piece back in place. With someone banging on the hood to open while I was pulling the lever we got it to pop open again. I put some 3-in-1 oil on all the moving latch parts (my Dad used to fix everything with 3-in-1) and adjusted the 2 rubber cushion stops up a turn or two and now the hod pops right open they way it did when new. No charge! ;-))

Glad you got the hood release fixed.

Yes, peeling paint seems to be the norm.

If they were painted grey I wonder if we would notice the paint peeling and leaving the primer?

What is the problem with the paint??? - man what a mess. Going to cost me $450 just to pant the hood! Lucky it's just summit white... and yes now I wish it was grey so the primer would match! A paint shop told me $4500 to sand and paint the whole thing. F that. It's a work truck/van 3500. Great shape but an '05 with 80K miles. Paint the hood and trade it in on another one I guess or something better. There are other spots showing paint issues also. Kinda crap is that GM? Thing's a gas hog too. 11-12 mpg full or empty - doesn't matter. Not happy

I'm running 15-16mpg on mine.

I haul bottled water so I run the extreme from overloaded to empty.

In an '05 3500? That's great. What motor do you have? I believe mine is a 6L. Mileage has been that way since new. I don't think I ever got more than 12mpg

In an '05 3500? That's great. What motor do you have? I believe mine is a 6L. Mileage has been that way since new. I don't think I ever got more than 12mpg

I've got a 2500 6-lug with 5.3.

Since I have to buy the gas out of my pocket I drive it that way. I use the gas peal like there is a raw egg between my foot and the pedal.

I've got a 2500 6-lug with 5.3.

Since I have to buy the gas out of my pocket I drive it that way. I use the gas peal like there is a raw egg between my foot and the pedal.

That must be the main difference right there - 2500 vs 3500; 5.3 vs 6.0L. I don't drive it hard either, but mine is full of weight also, wire ladders etc

That must be the main difference right there - 2500 vs 3500; 5.3 vs 6.0L. I don't drive it hard either, but mine is full of weight also, wire ladders etc

I don't think 2500 vs 3500 makes any difference. The rear axle ratio could be a difference. I didn't know that there was a large difference in MPG 5.3 vs 6.0. But you running loaded all the time will make a big difference.

Archived