I know it sounds completely rediculous but I have a rattle that drives me crazy. It's been there ever since we purchased it and I've moved things around (rear middle seatbelt, latches on the wall in the 3rd row, so forth.) anyone else have this or can give me any ideas where to look next? I am waiting to get my rear spoiler replaced due to it popping and not opening. So I guess I can have them laugh at me when I bring it back to have the spoiler installed and make them track the rattle down.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the roof rack cross rails then I'm almost positive it is coming from the rear one. I had the same issue going over bumps could hear a rattle that seemed to be coming from the rear. If you open up a rear door, stand on the sill plate, then hit the chrome section of roof rack you should be able to duplicate the rattle. I was unable to tighten the cross rails enough to keep from rattling so I stuck some tape in the gaps at the end of the rails where they slide into the female fitting. If you need a picture let me know.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just picked up a Tahoe and loved how tight the ride was. Then I went back to get the cross rails installed at the dealer and suddenly this mysterious rear rattle over bumps appeared. It drove me nuts all week until I read this thread. However, when I checked the cross rails, they seem very secure. If anyone else has other tips or tricks please let me know. I would hate to have the dealer start tearing anything apart to locate the rattle, so I might just remove the cross bars first and see if it goes away. I wonder if GM has had similar complaints and could weigh in.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up my 2015 LTZ. Could hear the crossbars rattle going down the highway. Mounts are tight to rails and set screws are all the way in but the cross members still rattle. Taking back to dealer for them to fix. If the METAL crossbars would sit in a rubber shoe or something in the METAL mounts i think the rattle would go away but the metal on metal is not a good recipe and really detracts from what is otherwise an awesome ride. Love the truck but this has to get fixed.

Just picked up my 2015 LTZ. Could hear the crossbars rattle going down the highway. Mounts are tight to rails and set screws are all the way in but the cross members still rattle. Taking back to dealer for them to fix. If the METAL crossbars would sit in a rubber shoe or something in the METAL mounts i think the rattle would go away but the metal on metal is not a good recipe and really detracts from what is otherwise an awesome ride. Love the truck but this has to get fixed.

If the dealer doesn't come up with a fix, go to the auto parts or hardware store and look at some different rubber grommet or washer sizes, one may fit between the metal as you describe it.

• 5 months later...

If you have the roof rack cross rails then I'm almost positive it is coming from the rear one. I had the same issue going over bumps could hear a rattle that seemed to be coming from the rear. If you open up a rear door, stand on the sill plate, then hit the chrome section of roof rack you should be able to duplicate the rattle. I was unable to tighten the cross rails enough to keep from rattling so I stuck some tape in the gaps at the end of the rails where they slide into the female fitting. If you need a picture let me know.

Hi guys, I know this thread is a little old, but I recently purchased a 2015 Denali, and after a few weeks I really became aware of this rattling noise. I was going nuts, buckling all the belts in, taping everything I thought could be loose down, and folding seats up/down, all sorts of combination, and for the life of me couldn't isolate the noise.

So I decided to do some online research and ran across this thread, and since I have the luggage rack option, I went downstairs and sure enough the rear crossbar shakes.

Since I do not have the correct size torx(sp?) screwdriver, I decided to use some "redneck" engineering, and basically did the matchbook under the chair leg trick. I used some black electrical tape, folded it over itself and used a flathead to insert it into the area between the bar and the cover where it bolts onto the truck.

Went for a test drive of about 20 minutes over all types of road and areas where I knew the rattling was the worst, and VIOLA!!!!

Worked like a dream, no noise, no rattling at all. The truck is whisper quiet now and feels like it justified it 75K+ price.

Nothing worst than paying a price that could have gotten me into a high end German vehicle, only to have it rattle like a Yugo.

Now I drive with pride, lol.

Anyways thanks guys for the help, because this was driving me nuts.

• 4 years later...

Hey guys,   This thread is super old now but a huge shout out to you guys and the admins for leaving it up.   Big shout out to my man that recommended the “red neck” solution with the electrical tape! I was ready to rip seats out, have my struts checked, u joints, you name it. I couldn’t take the rattle anymore!   It was the freaking cross rail of the roof rack!  15 cents with of electrical tape and it’s like a dream now!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I added the GM Factory Kicker Sub upgrade that created a rattle in the rear left. I checked the jack and other potential loose items/clips... At the time of original install I also added sound deadening mats to all the body panels in the vicinity- later I actually thought maybe I got as defective sub or maybe it's already blown so that's why it sounds rattle-eeee ...I called Kicker, they offered to warranty it out no questions no hassle... they have a standard 3 year 36k from date of sub purchase. When I got it out I tried duplicating the sound, no rattle and sub didn't sound blown... so instead of warranting it out I reinstalled it and tried shimming the top right bracket away from the metal body. My shim was about a half inch... worked for me. No more GM integrated Kicker sub rattle...

final note... and one I didn't see mentioned in the thread... check the cup holders I've experienced this simple and silly problem of something being left in a rear cup holder causing rattle. Photo is for illustrative purpose. Rear quarter trim panel has since been reinstalled.

042EE9B1-9137-4D08-A58F-074A6FD4F1F0.jpeg

Edited by ScottD1970
clarify where the shim is and point out that rear trim panel is removed for illustrative purposes (i'm not driving around without the trim panel on! although that would eliminate potential rattle! less stuff in the vehicle = less stuff to rattle :)