popping noise in dash

My first post as a new member. My new 2015 Silverado 1500 has the same popping noise. It appears to be due to a temperature contrast when the AC is turned on and the hot plastic bezels surrounding the audio controls and the AC vents expand or contract. It seems to disappear after a few minutes or become more infrequent. Since I'm in the Texas heat I'm looking forward to the late Fall and Winter to see if still occurs. This hasn't happened on any vehicle I've had since the mid-1980s. I would have thought this would have been engineered out by this time. By the way, thanks for all the tips and knowledge. It has kept me from a needless trip to the dealer already.

My wife's 2016 Tahoe does the same thing...after a short while it does finally stop. The cooling of the hot plastic bezel makes sense, so thanks for the explanation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/30/2016 at 7:28 PM, Uncle Frank said:

After having my 2015 Silverado 1500 for a full year I find the popping noise from around the radio occurs no matter what the season is. Between that and the hard to turn ignition key and the seat movement around a corner I find the vehicle lacking in quality.

Frank, I took my 2015 Sierra in to the GM dealership for the driver seat shifting while turning 4 different times before they fixed it. They found a TSB and replaced the whole frame under the seat to finally fix it. Idk what the TSB# is by memory, but I can find it if you need it. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2018 Silverado with 14k miles, it's been doing the popping sound since day 1.  I live in Southern California and spend most of my lunch time in the truck. After a few hours of baking in the so cal heat the plastic in the dash expands and when I roll down my windows the dash starts to pop. Yup sounds like rocks hitting your windshield. Obviously GM hasn't fixed this issue, this thread is dated back in August 2014, my truck was bought in August 2018 and it is October 2019 now.