Engine options. Stay with 5.3 or get a 6.0?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an LQ9. Mine is gen 3. I had the LR4 gen 3 4.8 to start

I think, I'm just gonna stay with the 5.3, with that many miles. Transmission will be next, sounds just too expensive to changing everything at once.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If done right the trans will be fine for a bit. I have almost 40k 6.0 miles on my factory transmission. The transmission has 149,350 on it

Everything is the same. A direct swap, if i was on my home computer I would have the a good link. Look for a 6.0/4L80 combo or maybe even a 6.0/6L90.

I believe he has a 4 speed so he has to stay with a 4 speed.

Everything is the same. A direct swap, if i was on my home computer I would have the a good link. Look for a 6.0/4L80 combo or maybe even a 6.0/6L90.

Which one should I go with? I have the 4 speed. Also, I have the LS2 6.0 in my G8.

I believe he has a 4 speed so he has to stay with a 4 speed.

Yes I do have a 4 speed, unfortunately.

Guy at the Chevy dealer, in the service department. Parts manager. Said that there has been 2 people that's done this and that they had some problems since switching to the 6.0. He said with module problems & more money to toss out.

Would I have that problem?

If I could get a hold of a nice 6.0 and just drop it in I would. However, for now unless something is seriously wrong with my engine I would just rebuild what I have. I'm sentimental (or just mental) towards having a cast iron block.

If I could get a hold of a nice 6.0 and just drop it in I would. However, for now unless something is seriously wrong with my engine I would just rebuild what I have. I'm sentimental (or just mental) towards having a cast iron block.

My 6.0 is cast iron.

• 1 month later...

Well guys, my truck is still sitting at the garage. I'm having withdrawals of not driving my truck or having it fixed. Had a couple of plans before the cold weather starts. Was gonna Line-X my truck, redo the frame to paint it and do a full detail. Guess not now.

Been driving my gfs Kia car around.

I think I'm just gonna do the cheapest way and drop the 5.3. Since, my truck has over 170K miles. I know if I drop the 6.0 in it, my transmission will go out next. I checked my truck on KBB and still can sell it for $12K. Not bad.

What should I do guys?

I would recommend the 6.0, as I've had two L76 Vortec Max trucks (one 07 with the 4-speed, and one 09 with a 6-speed). If you've never driven one, they will make you want to throw rocks at the 5.3 (and I've had 3 different 5.3 trucks). The 6.0 is a great motor, and will pull your lifted truck on 35's around much easier. However, with that being said, I don't know if I'd throw a ton of money into a truck with that many miles (no offense), and would probably go with a direct (and cheaper) swap. Get it back on the road as easy and cheap as possible....get your financial affairs in order....and start saving up for a nice down payment on that 2500HD that you really want :)

Archived