5.3l LT headers and Y pipe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

All right I am ready to order a set of headers I just can't make my mind up between the kooks with a catted y pipe or the doug thorley tri y headers with the ORY pipe. I do not have much experience with headers other that the ARH headers I had on my 2013 5.0 mustang. I have found a lot of info on the tri y headers on older body style trucks but can't find much on the kooks. Both of the ones I am looking at have 1 3/4" primaries. Anyone with experience that can give me a comparison between the 2? I am willing to spend the extra money for the Kooks but really don't want to if the benefits aren't there. Keep in mind mine is not a race truck; 6" lift, 35" tires and 4.56 gears. Possibility of supercharging down the road.

Thanks for any advice.

Both are great quality pieces. The biggest advantage the kooks have is the catted Y. Cats can always be added to the ORY.

I haven't seen back to back Dyno numbers, but the low end torque is supposed to be better with the Tri Y design. That's part of the reason Justin talked me into those since I pull a lot.

Both are great quality pieces. The biggest advantage the kooks have is the catted Y. Cats can always be added to the ORY.

I haven't seen back to back Dyno numbers, but the low end torque is supposed to be better with the Tri Y design. That's part of the reason Justin talked me into those since I pull a lot.

Thanks for the feed back. Yea the mid to low range torque is supposed to be great on the tri y headers and I am about 90% set on going that route. Did they come with the gaskets and header bolts and did you order them through BB?. I have a price from Jarrad with BB for them but just havent completely made my mind up. I am having a hard time figuring out if the kooks are comparrable low to mid range. I know top end they should have the advantage but I am very seldom in that range

• 5 weeks later...

All right I am ready to order a set of headers I just can't make my mind up between the kooks with a catted y pipe or the doug thorley tri y headers with the ORY pipe. I do not have much experience with headers other that the ARH headers I had on my 2013 5.0 mustang. I have found a lot of info on the tri y headers on older body style trucks but can't find much on the kooks. Both of the ones I am looking at have 1 3/4" primaries. Anyone with experience that can give me a comparison between the 2? I am willing to spend the extra money for the Kooks but really don't want to if the benefits aren't there. Keep in mind mine is not a race truck; 6" lift, 35" tires and 4.56 gears. Possibility of supercharging down the road.

Thanks for any advice.

Did you ever end up ordering headers?

+1 on Michael Drain's question ^^^^

I plan to put headers on either before or after I lift mine, more likely before or at the same time that I get the lift. I have heard good things about the Doug Thorleys on the old bodies.

How much are y'all finding the Doug Thorley long tube headers for? I am seeing between $700-800 for the parts. Is this a good price? Never done headers before so idk what a good price would be

Ha smart man! I miss my duramax.

I sure do love this one. My 12 was a problem child with emissions issues but not all were plagued with them and the new one seems great right now. Just popped the regen cherry at 715 miles; the 12 would have had 3 already by this time. Time will tell though.

I don't plan on racing my truck but am looking at th Doug Thorley tri y headers. No plans for adding cats to it. Does anyone have a price or review on them? Reading some reviews on Autoanything seem promising with claims of better low end torque, strong quality for the price, better sound, and some claim increases in MPG. I'm planning on headers around Christmas for better power since I will be lifting this summer.

Would really like to head some reviews of them on a K2!

Also what's a good price for install? I don't plan to install them myself.

Archived