Best 25/50/400 Mile Numbers

What kind of fuel economy is everyone getting?

I'm sure for many of us, fuel economy does factor in our ownership.

Many of us bought a truck so we can move our toys, yet the daily operational costs do have an impact.

2014 Sierra 5.3L 3.08 4x4 ext std bed

Here is what my truck has displayed on the DIC in MPG:

25 : 23.6

50 : 22.2

400 : 19.9

Combined since I've owned the truck 17.6

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only got 2,800 miles on mine and all my driving has been during the winter months, so my mileage is probably taking a cold weather hit.

2015 Silverado 5.3L 3.42 4x4 CCSB

Here is what my truck has displayed on the DIC in MPG:

25 : 21.2

50 : 19.7

400 : 17.2

I have 5,000 miles on my truck and I only average 15.9 during the winter. During the summer (summer gas) I might see 17 once and a while but I average about 16.5 during that time. I drive with an empty truck and try very hard to get better gas mileage. New England is very hilly in this area. I think the mpg suck so far for this truck.

I have 5.3L 3.08 4x4 regular cab.

someone correct me if im wrong, but if you reset all 3 screens only the one that you have selected will log the info.

i keep mine on per 100km which i guess if your 50 miles.

I just raised the bar on my best "last 400": 20.7 mpg

That took a lot of boring driving to get there! About half was on cruise at 75 mph on a road trip back home. And the rest was me babying it ~70 mph to see if I could beat my previous best, 20.3...

The economy on these things can tank real quickly if you put your foot into them. Tanks averaging 20+ mpg are possible, but pretty tough to get. I generally range anywhere from high 17s to low 19s...

And "last 25" and "last 50" are jokes. Anyone can coast downhill with the wind in their favor and get ridiculous numbers.

Good "Last 400" numbers are actual achievements. Maximize highway economy and minimize city stops for close to a whole tank. It is pretty tough.

And "last 25" and "last 50" are jokes. Anyone can coast downhill with the wind in their favor and get ridiculous numbers.

Good "Last 400" numbers are actual achievements. Maximize highway economy and minimize city stops for close to a whole tank. It is pretty tough.

That's why I put my overall number in there 17.6. I typically set cruise at 72. I'd bet there are folks in GM who think calibrating engine for tow capability first, and everything else be damned. I bet there are many owners who would not complain in AFM held on small grades at highway speeds. There isn't an Eco button so the pedal should have about a 15-20% "light" operation before significantly opening up the throttle. The Egoboost is typically all boost read the wards article about ford engines not making the wards top 10 list. GM went the right way with AFM. Now they just have to let us have it. Maybe when the warranty runs out I'll look into a reprogrammer tool and open up the AFM limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the worst mileage would be very entertaining. Along with a story on how to get it as well....of course.

Easiest way is probably to use the remote start several times a day...but a good driving story would be alright.

Not really. All 3 of those numbers tell a good story as long as you decipher them correctly. The 400 won't tell you the whole truth if you use the truck to haul anything at all, including ass.

For this thread, my best recorded 25 is 27.4, my 50 is 26.2 and my 400 is 22.1. My truck is a 6.2 High Country 4X4 with 3.42 gears. Those numbers came on a vacation trip to Gatlinburg, TN a few months back... not exactly flat ground and all the hills I coasted down, I had to go up to get there. LOL My lifetime is 17.

My 25 usually stays around 18-20 daily, my 50 usually hovers around 17-18 daily and my 400 is usually 15-16, weekly. In order to distinguish a better idea of what is going on, my drive to work every day is roughly 20 miles each way with about 30% of that drive being stop and go. So by looking at MY numbers, I can routinely average 18-20 on my drive to and from work, but letting the engine warm up on the winter mornings for 10 minutes as well as stop and go traffic kills the 50 score and it can't recover in one day. I pull my boat at least once a week almost every week of the entire year, and because of where I live that pull is an hour each way to any river/lake, which is about 150 miles round trip usually across one mountain, so my 400 can't recover over the course of a week. With that being said, my lifetime is 17 with 22,6xx miles in 11 months... which makes complete sense as long as you figure in exactly what the truck has done since I've owned it.

Sounds like a 6.2 is either the answer to the energy issues of the world or you're driving it like the chief of police and the Secretary of Energy are on a ride-along with you.

22.1 on a 6.2L?!? I'm impressed.

You must've been driving like a goddamn GRANDMA to pull a number like that!

My 20.7 on my 5.3 all of a sudden ain't nothing now...

I think we need to see pictures for proof:)

Maybe not. I hear the 3.08 gets less AFM than the shorter gears. Would be interesting to see how the 3.42 rear in the 5.3L does. Taller gearing forces the engine load to go up, so AFM would be harder to maintain. Sound plausible??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived