On Monday, I was suppose to take delivery of a new 1500 SLT with a 6.2L and off-road package. Dealership told me they could not release it yet as a "global" TSB was issued on all 6.2L due to a "whining" in the transmission. All week I have been waiting but am being told that the "GM portal does not show any fix yet." Anyone heard of this or have any helpful info?

Its just one of those things that if you run into that whine noise, that they are aware. If it makes no noise, then I wouldn't worry.

Has to be something more than that. The dealership will not let the sale close and they tell me they cannot release the truck until a fix comes through. They have guaranteed the price and rebates as of 3/30 but the sale is otherwise in limbo.

Has to be something more than that. The dealership will not let the sale close and they tell me they cannot release the truck until a fix comes through. They have guaranteed the price and rebates as of 3/30 but the sale is otherwise in limbo.

Got a link to the truck on the dealers website?

Sounds like they are taking about preliminary TSB 15178 for 8speeds whining in 3rd through 5th, and yes, the bulletin says they can't sell a truck that shows symptoms of it. It affects ~5% of 8speed transmissions. My understanding is it is for "earlier" builds, and they even know the VINs affected. Has the dealership confirmed yours is affected or are they assuming? Easy enough to find out on a test drive, or calling TAC to verify the VIN.

Edit: I am lead to believe the parts require a transmission teardown as well. An alternative is to ask them to swap the tranny with a new unit. Or, look for a truck that doesn't have the issue if you don't want repairs right off the bat.

Sounds like they are taking about preliminary TSB 15178 for 8speeds whining in 3rd through 5th, and yes, the bulletin says they can't sell a truck that shows symptoms of it. It affects ~5% of 8speed transmissions. My understanding is it is for "earlier" builds, and they even know the VINs affected. Has the dealership confirmed yours is affected or are they assuming? Easy enough to find out on a test drive, or calling TAC to verify the VIN.

Edit: I am lead to believe the parts require a transmission teardown as well. An alternative is to ask them to swap the tranny with a new unit. Or, look for a truck that doesn't have the issue if you don't want repairs right off the bat.

Can't thank you enough for the info. I asked the dealership those exact questions and they admitted to what you said. Said originally the TSB didn't have a no sale mandate - huh? They were going to sell me a $50k truck they knew to have a known problem simply because the TSB didn't say no sale? Starting off a new truck with a transmission rebuild is no bueno in my book. Walked from sale and now looking for another 6.2L that can be shown not to have same problem.

Can't thank you enough for the info. I asked the dealership those exact questions and they admitted to what you said. Said originally the TSB didn't have a no sale mandate - huh? They were going to sell me a $50k truck they knew to have a known problem simply because the TSB didn't say no sale? Starting off a new truck with a transmission rebuild is no bueno in my book. Walked from sale and now looking for another 6.2L that can be shown not to have same problem.

Glad to help. Totally with you on not liking a new vehicle needing a tranny rebuild right away. But hey, I already had a new replacement 8 speed transmission put in my Denali in less than 2 months of ownership *sigh*.

To clarify a point I said earlier, they can technically sell the vehicle, but they should not let a customer take off with it until its fixed, which still isn't very cool in my book. The exact wording from the document is:

"If gear whine noise is present, the vehicle should be held and not delivered to a customer until the bulletin is released and repairs can be performed."

When you go looking for another truck, my understanding is ones built within the last month or two are not on the list. The 8speeds transmissions don't sit very long anywhere before they make their way to a vehicle. Foolproof check is the dealer can pull the TSB and look at the list of vehicles to see if it appears on the list as possibly being affected.

Archived