onstar service required for app?

The free app is only good on 2015-up vehicles. If you bought it new you get the OnStar "Basic" plan free for 5 years. With this plan you can download the app and use it for remote start/unlock-lock/lights. You can also get a monthly diagnostic email for free. For all other features you need to upgrade to one of the paid plans.

BTW -- the Onstar app is going away. It is being replaced by brand-specific apps (MyBuick, MyGMC, MyChevrolet) so you need to search for those in the app store. The OnStar one will work for now but GM will not be updating it. The new apps do the same thing they are just skinned differently for each brand.

SK is correct I had never even touched the OnStar button since May 2015 when my truck was purchased. I pushed it yesterday OnStar lady said I had the basic plan for 5 years from May 2015. Downloaded the MYGMC app and it works. Might as well have it while its free .

So I received this Onstar flier in the mail the other day that is offering 3yrs of the basic plan for "free, no obligation" . Mainly for the remote start/door locks app. Has anyone called them on this? My truck is good for another 3yrs but I thought I might add it to the wife's Equinox.

Archived