Resonator Delete Question

I just installed a super 44, but think it's too quiet. I am thinking about deleting the resonator and keeping the flapper open. Will deleting the resonator make a big difference? Will it create a drone? And will the permanent open flap make a difference?

The flap is for v4 mode. Without the resonator it will just have a deeper rumble. If you don't have the flap operational, when it kicks into v4 mode it will sound like crap (based on what other members have said in their experience)

Removing the resonator will make a huge difference in sound. It should make it a lot louder. I recommend relocating your flapper to be before the muffler instead of behind. Having mine behind makes my exhaust sound like its full of holes. Once you do both of those if you dont like the sound still you can clamp open the v4 flapper.

Yes. I've got 18" Magnaflow with 3rd cat(resonator) and flapper gone... let me know if you do take it off, I might want your flapper.

Not removing the flapper haha, just clamping/welding it open if i plan to go through with it

Also I have a feeling with a 44 and no resonator youre going to get drone in v8, and it will be even worse in v4. Any loud exhaust will have some drone, some worse than others.

i have a 4.3l v6 so its still quiet with the 44. i might cut the resonator and clamp open the valve. if i get really bad drone then ill unclamp the valve. what do you think? I dont plan on moving the valve to before the muffler

If you don't plan on moving it to before then leave it held open (don't weld it, just use a clamp or bolt), but yes remove the resonator if you want it louder.

Mine sounded god awful with the valve after the mufler. I drove it home from the shop and instantly clamped it open and its been like that since.

Edited by projectsummit

I have a single in/dual out Super 44 on my truck and had them remove everything from the muffler back (stock muffler, resonator and tailpipe) and it sounds really good and is very loud. It does have the V4 drone because I don't have the flapper valve anymore, but it's not that bad. To me it just sounds like an engine brake/jake brake on an 18 wheeler which I actually like and don't mind. I didn't touch anything in front of the muffler so I kept the 3rd cat, but I may remove it later on.

• Like 1

I too have gotten used to the v4 drone, part of the reason I haven't relocated my flapper yet. I put a drop in dry filter and created a home made MIT as well and with that extra air flow my truck has a nice grumble under load.

I too have gotten used to the v4 drone, part of the reason I haven't relocated my flapper yet. I put a drop in dry filter and created a home made MIT as well and with that extra air flow my truck has a nice grumble under load.

because i drive a v6, do you think i won't have a drone?

It will probably be worse because you have v6, if you're worried about drone a super 44 was probably not the best choice.

why would it be worse do you know? i was assuming v8 are naturally louder which would therefore have a higher chance of louder drone/??