Low fuel light?

Hey guys,

Well this past weekend I had a good chance to see just what the mpg on my truck would be for only highway miles.  made the 120mile trip to in-laws.   Filled up the truck(26 gals). drove up there, then drove back yesterday.  About a mile from my house the low fuel light came one, so I pulled in to get $10 in gas.  

My ? is does anyone know at what gallon the low fuel light come on  at?

Probably about 21 usually.  I wouldn't make it a habit of running her till the light comes on though, puts extra/unnecessary stress on the fuel pump.

Is this true?  I've never heard of it before, but if it's true, I better start filling up more often!

Probably about 21 usually.  I wouldn't make it a habit of running her till the light comes on though, puts extra/unnecessary stress on the fuel pump.

Is this true?  I've never heard of it before, but if it's true, I better start filling up more often!

Yes it is true.  Especially in colder weather when the pump is working harder.  I rarely let mine get under 1/4 tank when it is cold outside.

Next time you take a trip.  Fill it up.  Reset the Trip meter.  Then when you fill up next time check how many gallons it takes to fill up.  Then take your milage and divide it by the gallons.  Walla you have your MPG.  I drove to Buffalo but I never filled up so I couldn't get a accurate calculation.  Oh well.  Next time.  I was able to get about 425 miles to the tank though.  But I didn't fill it.  If I had to guess I would say I got 16-18 mpg.  It was also really cold last weekend so that didn't help.

Later,

Brandon

P.S.  Thanks for the info on the fuel pump.  That is a smart idea.  I know that mine is getting louder.  It is a 99 tahoe.  Is it normal to have a loud pump?  I have 63k on it.

Archived