Paint issues

Guys, I just received my new truck memorial day weekend. I noticed that the truck had trash under the base coat in the tailgate in a few spots. Took it to the dealership and they said they would fix it no problem whenever I could drop it off for a few days. I had to leave to go offshore so I told them I would bring it in later. Came in from offshore yesterday and noticed the paint looks bad in the bed in several areas also. Then I noticed while cleaning my passenger side door just now that there is another spot where some spec of trash got under the base coat before it got cleared. Now I'm worried. I understand that stuff happens sometimes but doesn't gm have a QC department before the vehicle leaves the plant? This is a brand new 55k truck. What are they going to try to do? If it's under the basecoat, aren't they going to have to repaint the areas that I've found down to the metal? Feeling pissed and a little worried? Can't check any more areas because I have to go back offshore tonight!!

It's a brand new truck... No excuses they should fix or buy back and get you a diff truck. I'd be livid if I dropped 55k on a new truck and had more body work done in the first month than some have the entire life of the truck. Not acceptable.

This isn't just a Chevy issue. These trucks are mass produced and paint issues happen quite a bit. I have a nasty blob in my right rear quarter and the bottom rail under the doors have a ton of dirt under the clear. It's a warranty issue and Chevrolet will pay to fix it, but they certainly aren't going to buy the truck back over it.

I know we all expect these trucks to be perfect, but let's be honest; we're not buying hand built lambos here.

This isn't just a Chevy issue. These trucks are mass produced and paint issues happen quite a bit. I have a nasty blob in my right rear quarter and the bottom rail under the doors have a ton of dirt under the clear. It's a warranty issue and Chevrolet will pay to fix it, but they certainly aren't going to buy the truck back over it.

I know we all expect these trucks to be perfect, but let's be honest; we're not buying hand built lambos here.

No, but at 55k you could be buy a low-mid level mercedes or audi which would have a perfect paint job. These are made for working/towing and long road trips. Any 50k+ investment I'd expect a certain level of quality control

I've owned a lot of vehicles and this is my first GM product. GM's paint is probably the worse I have ever seen. Granted, nobody has decent paint anymore; but it seems GM's scratches the easiest and has lot of crap under the clear.

Other than the paint, I like the heck out of my Sierra.

The paint QC is horrible on these trucks. My 2014 has tons of spots in the paint and the dealership said the only option was to repaint the entire area which would have been the drivers door, back drivers side door and the entire side of the bed on the same side. I have no desire to have a repainted truck but the fact that these spots got through any inspections is ridiculous.

A few could be wet sanded but I'm scared to death to sand this clear coat. It is so thin and so weak that I'm afraid to burn right through it. This is by far the worst paint I've ever had on my 6 previous GM vehicles.

I'm really scared they're gonna try and screw me but I won't let it happen. I got 14 to 21 days before I go in and when I do they will fix my damn truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I had like specs of dirt in my paint and noticed it the first time I tried to wash it. I was going to take it back to the dealer but I feared they would make the problem worst. Don't trust dealers too much for some reason. So I just took it to my local body shop (friends with the guy) and they wet sanded it and buffed it and it looks better then new. So I'm assuming it was just in the clear coat.

Mine is under the base coat. You can tell. The inside of the bed looks really bad in spots too. Don't know if the robot messed up that was painting my truck. I know there is trash in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same issues with specs under the clear coat on my 2015 ltz also on our 2015 camaro nearly 100k in new Chevys in the garage and both have paint issues, didn't know the warranty would cover??

The worst is under the hood of my truck hardly any paint on the underside of the hood where it meets the right fender!!

Am I stuck?

I still havent dealt with my issue yet. My dealership doesnt have a body shop so its outsourced to a local body shop. When i asked if the truck was going to be taken down to metal and repainted ( because the imperfections are under the basecoat ) they replied with it will be repaired. So what they are probably gonna do in my case it sand it down and spot paint it and reclear. I say no thank you to a half factory painted vehicle and half local body shop painted vehicle with only a 3yr/ 36000 mile warranty on the paint. I know thats a standard warranty on paint anyway but ive seen chevy paint jobs last 10 to 12 years in many cases.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2015 crew cab. Black with the worst orange peal i have ever seen. I also had dirt and fishers in the paint and they fixed most of them but when they returned the vehicle to me the put a dent in the rocker panel and i found over spray on the back door. I took it back and they fixed the overspray and dent. but now there is two shades of black in the door jams and it was never buffed out. I paid 38,000 for my LTZ. I am not happy with the dealership quality and GM paint quality standards. I told the Service manager and he said i hear your complain and agree but let me show you something, He took me to the lot where there was a 2015 Corvette Zo6. The orange peal was worse than mine. He shook his head and shrugged his shoulders and said thats the way it is now.

Archived