N-Fab/Smittybuilt are made in China?WTF

I always thought these are made in USA or thought I saw that in the past on their website. I just received mine ordered from autoanything.com Smittybuilt Stainless nerf bars and a big made in china label on the box. I sure hope these fit correct and are not junk. Everyone on here all gave good reviews for N-Fab/Smittybuilt. DId they just change to Chinese made?

The n-fabs I bought last year were marked as American Made. Maybe it depends on the model?

Some companies do that. Weber is a good example, low end is imported, mid-high end is American.

ETA:

FWIW, I am not overly impressed with them. For looks I give them a solid A. Functionality: B-, I'd like the steps a little wider and taller. Quality: C, whatever they coated the metal with scrapes off easily and is already rusting. I've also got rust spots in the corners where there was no contact to take the coating off. My biggest dislike though is that they have 1 design for Diesel and Gassers, which means the passenger side does not have a third mounting point at the front where the DEF tank goes on Diesels.

From the different forums I have searched N-Fab steps are now made in China. N-Fab now subs the sidesteps to SmittyBilt. They do not make the bars, but their name is stamped onto the step and Smittybilt subs the work to China

I opened it all up and the brackets and everything look very high quality and strong. I put the bar up to the underbody mounting holes and it all looks like it will line up so as long at it goes on smooth I guess should be ok.

Off topic but the GM 20ich stock wheels are made in china too. Mine have a Made in China stamp on the back side of one of the spokes.

I opened it all up and the brackets and everything look very high quality and strong. I put the bar up to the underbody mounting holes and it all looks like it will line up so as long at it goes on smooth I guess should be ok.

Off topic but the GM 20ich stock wheels are made in china too. Mine have a Made in China stamp on the back side of one of the spokes.

You can build in China if you have strict enough quality standards (Apple and other mobile device makers are good examples) and given how critical wheels are, I am sure that GM's wheels are no exception. But they can't make good stuff on their own (reference: everything sold at Harbor Freight or similar :lol:) and the Smittybilt stuff for Jeeps is definitely subpar in terms of materials and especially welds.

Regardless I'm glad the running boards seem stout.

Well tried to install today and the Chinese garbage didn't line up. The front 2 factory holes lined up and the last back Nfab hole was 1/2 off of the factory hole in the pinch weld. I tried manipulating it and got a bolt through but it was at an angle and if I tightened it up it probably would have cracked ur really bent the pinch weld.

My Nfab steps say NFAB by Smittybuilt in instructions and box but the steps have the NFAB logo on the bars. Stickers on all the packing foam made in China. I was told the steps design licensing was ssold to Smittybuilt but they use the Nfab name on them. Smittybuilt moved production to China. The welds brackets all look very high end and strong just don't line up. Also the bolts they sent were 2 sizes and mine required 1 size which leaves me 4 bolts short.

Just check Nfab site all thepaintedsteps show made in usa but stainless bars do not say where they are made I guess I found out the stainless are Chinese made

So I got my NFAB steps on but had to enlarge the holes in the rear brackets. Then when torquing them to spec the washers provided ended up being too small and pulled through all the brackets. Had to use some large fender washers. The steps are very sturdy and look great but instal isn't exactly bolt on. The hardware is garbage and bracket holes should be wider rectangular shaped.

Archived