Diesel Regeneration

Just now, KARNUT said:

Brilliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with occasionally driving the new diesels. I do it, and have no issues. To say you can only daily drive these trucks is complete BS.... 

There is nothing wrong with occasionally driving the new diesels. I do it, and have no issues. To say you can only daily drive these trucks is complete BS.... 

I think you have it backwards. Short daily trips in a diesel aren’t good for them with regen. They are best suited for pulling, hauling and long runs. If you want to make grocery runs with one that’s fine, it’s your money. I’m experienced with diesels and don’t daily drive them anymore. We still use them for heavy duty work and with our service trucks. We switch to gas for our run around trucks, we weren’t getting good service out of diesels unless we worked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I understand what your saying and agree with you comments partially. Diesels are cold blooded by nature and take longer to warm up. I was responding to the comment that these newer diesels are not meant to be driven occasionally (or thts what I understood)... cheers

Lots more soot generated by the  motor when doing short tripping with a diesel.  The DPF loads up more frequently and has to burn it off more often.  A DPF has a limited number of regen cycles before it needs replaced or machine cleaned.  When a diesel is cold started, it has to use more EGR until the exhaust and the DEF get warmed up so that it will vaporize when injected into the SCR unit.  Increased EGR leads to increased soot loading.  

Those of us in commercial trucking have oodles of experience with these things and know the best methodologies to limit problems.  Until GM (and other U.S. OEM's) get their head out of their back side and move over to a far better SCR system that Amminex has had for quite some time, we will have to deal with this nonsense.

Amminex's system is a cartridge with 100% urea in a substrate.  The urea comes out of the cartridge as a gas and goes into the SCR unit.  No injector or filter required like with DEF.  100% on demand even cold starting in sub-zero weather. It eliminates the need for EGR on a diesel motor. And it is more efficient and results on lower NOx rates than DEF/SCR/EGR setups on U.S. motors.   The cartridge can be sized to the vehicle so that a cartridge will last for one oil change cycle.  When one changes the oil, change out the urea cartridge and hook up another and you are good for another oil change.   No DEF nonsense to spill, crystallize, clog the SCR injector, etc.  Pull one cartridge out, replace with another, and recycle the old cartridge.   No mess, simple as hooking up a propane tank on grill, no spillage.  

This isn't theory.  It has been in use for some time in Europe.  Navistar (International Trucks) bought a 50% stake in Amminex a few years back. Not sure why they haven't brought the technology over here yet.  In all studies, it beats the EPA limits on NOx by a comfortable margin.  But getting OEM's to do the right thing has always been a problem.

Scroll down the page on this link and watch the video.

http://www.amminex.com/home.aspx

The diesel car and pickup page....

http://www.amminex.com/oem/oem-passenger-cars.aspx

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2015 at 2:55 PM, redwngr said:

GM intended that the regen process not be noticed by the operator, hence no indicator.

The exhaust tone is slightly different. Idle speed will be slightly higher.

Regen can be interupted on a dmax. Mine used primarily as a daily driver with 4 to 15 miles trips. Often the truck would be in regen for several trips, and sometimes over more than one day.

If the engine is unable to complete the regen after sufficient number of tries, it will put out a message to 'continue driving'. About 100,000 miles of dpf equipped dmax driving and I've never had the message come up. (I believe that the decision to put out the 'continue driving' message is actually based the calculated soot level continuing to rise when it has been trying to regen).

Life became simpler once I learned to just ignore the regen's and let the truck take care of itself.

No smoke, no diesel exhaust smell and I was happy with the fuel economy.

Thank you, if your information is correct, then you answered my question I've been searching for.  Was wondering why I started getting that "message"   my driving habits changed and I guess the regen wasn't able to finish since I live 1/2 mile from my main place of employment.  Back to normal driving soon.   Thx for the info from 2015 :)