Flaccid shifting? 1st to 2nd

Ok 600 miles, 5.3 3.08 rear. My first to second seems rather flaccid. Sometimes gets a rpm flare and or being indecisive if it wants to up or down shift or not. Have it in for vibrations so figured id have this looked into. Then the loaner (same truck same rear just a DC not CC) is nice and firm and shifts as it should. Makes me jelious

Welcome to the club. This is the number one complaint of mine on these trucks. Transmission tuning is horrible. I'm not sure why some trucks are better than others. You can make a huge difference in the quality of shifting with a tuner.

There is a lot of debate as to whether a tuner like the Diablo i1000 is traceable. There are many topics on this very subject on this site (do a search for some good reading). Otherwise, you'll likely have to deal with the poor factory tuning.

Welcome to the club. This is the number one complaint of mine on these trucks. Transmission tuning is horrible. I'm not sure why some trucks are better than others. You can make a huge difference in the quality of shifting with a tuner.

This (sort of) supports the notion that these transmissions are adaptive in their programming. Some shift good and have snappy throttles, others are dogs.

I have a cold (first shift after startup) laggy 1-2 shift in my 8 speed that seems to be the norm for all 8 speeds after seeing a thread was started here.

Don't worry about it right now because your trans is still in learn mode. Mine shifted hard in learn mode, but after about 2,000 miles it stopped and the trans has shifted smooth as silk ever since. So don't worry unless it's still doing it at your first oil change.

Don't worry about it right now because your trans is still in learn mode. Mine shifted hard in learn mode, but after about 2,000 miles it stopped and the trans has shifted smooth as silk ever since. So don't worry unless it's still doing it at your first oil change.

Many users have found that their transmissions shift the same way thousands of miles later. My truck has just over 15,000 miles on it and it's just as bad as day one. A colleague at work had the same results as me on his 2014. As noted, see how it reacts down the road. Learn mode supposedly adapts only the shift pressures.

Many users have found that their transmissions shift the same way thousands of miles later. My truck has just over 15,000 miles on it and it's just as bad as day one. A colleague at work had the same results as me on his 2014. As noted, see how it reacts down the road. Learn mode supposedly adapts only the shift pressures.

Ya some people still had the problem, but others have stopped after learn mode like mine did. I also think I remember it being a little confused of when to shift while in learn mode, but again after learn mode it stopped. I luckily haven't had any problems with my trans since after learn mode.

actually the "learn" mode is always happening. Basically if youre driving the truck hard and rough the trans will learn this and change the shifting to accommodate. If you are driving slow an easy, it learns this and relaxes the shifting. There is learn mode interval. Its always happening.

actually the "learn" mode is always happening. Basically if youre driving the truck hard and rough the trans will learn this and change the shifting to accommodate. If you are driving slow an easy, it learns this and relaxes the shifting. There is learn mode interval. Its always happening.

That's pretty much any auto though. Learn mode it will shift hard even if you're driving like grandpa. What you're describing is when the computer senses how you're driving so it adjust to it.

I've got 7k miles on mine and 98% of the time it shifts fine but I still get the occasional 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 hard downshift and upshift. I miss the 4 speed in my old 2002, always shifted fine even after 12 years and 130k miles.

Archived