Anyone Installed an Aux Trans Cooler??

Anyone installed an Aux. Trans Cooler on their 2014 / 2015 yet??

Looking to do this on mine, but can't find any useful info on how to do this on the new model 1500's.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is absolutely no reason to do this. Our trucks have a thermostat controlled transmission cooling temperature. You can cause damage by over cooling them for extended periods of time.

First time I have ever heard OVER COOLING a transmission! Heat is the number one enemy of an automatic transmission.

RT

First time I have ever heard OVER COOLING a transmission! Heat is the number one enemy of an automatic transmission.

RT

I've never heard of over-cooling being an issue either. Certainly not in the 150-175 degree range anyway, which is where I'd like to be.

Anyway, I've heard of this thermostat that the new models apparently have. From what I can tell though, it's more for efficiency sake (thinner fluid causes less frictional drivetrain losses), but no one seems to want to speak to whether or not this hotter operating temp is going to cause longevity issues on the new models.

Everything I've ever read leads me to believe these hotter temps will lead to a shorter life of my transmission. Especially when towing and seeing 210+ degree temps.

Not with the newer fluid that GM uses.

As far as over cooling, the new fluid that GM has spec'ed needs to be at certain temperatures to reach the appropriate viscosity. If you over cool the fluid beyond the designed temp range the transmission will actually hold gears longer to try and get up to temp.

Well with my 8 speed it did not come with an external cooler and has the towing package but if you get it with the NHT max tow package it does come with a external cooler so what's your take on that and does this mean the 8 speed as a thermostat ?

The trucks are designed to be cooled effectively by the existing cooling system up to the maximum rated towing and hauling capacity. Nothing additional is needed to achieve this rating. On the NHT trucks, some items are beefed up in order to handle the additional load, in this case, were talking in terms of additional cooling load placed on the trucks due to the additional ton that they're able to haul.

Even with the additional cooler, it will not be utilized until they transmission is up to operating temperature just as is the case with the standard oil/water cooler built into the radiator.

Keep your warranty and leave it as is. Every addition is an increased chance for failure in the system.

I'm sure you can buy the OEM cooler and hoses and be just fine and if there ever is a problem GM would never know it was not stock I want to do this with mine there tow numbers are never accurate my 09 was ratted for 9600 lbs and I had over heating issues pulling 6500 at highway speeds in the summer

The trucks are designed to be cooled effectively by the existing cooling system up to the maximum rated towing and hauling capacity. Nothing additional is needed to achieve this rating. On the NHT trucks, some items are beefed up in order to handle the additional load, in this case, were talking in terms of additional cooling load placed on the trucks due to the additional ton that they're able to haul.

Even with the additional cooler, it will not be utilized until they transmission is up to operating temperature just as is the case with the standard oil/water cooler built into the radiator.

Keep your warranty and leave it as is. Every addition is an increased chance for failure in the system.

And that logic would be fine if the stock integrated cooler could maintain the thermostatically controlled 190 degrees, but it can't. When towing my 7700lb travel trailer (within my trucks 9100 lbs rating, the trans temps climb into the 210+ range. And this is in GA on interstate incline type driving. My concern is what's it going to do when I get this thing up in the mountains on my way to/from campsites.

Yes it's hot in GA right now, but I can't see any reason why a supplemental cooler would be anything but a good thing. Maintaining the factory thermostat control, and it would still run at the supposed recommended 190 degrees.

I'm sure you can buy the OEM cooler and hoses and be just fine and if there ever is a problem GM would never know it was not stock I want to do this with mine there tow numbers are never accurate my 09 was ratted for 9600 lbs and I had over heating issues pulling 6500 at highway speeds in the summer

Unfortunately they don't have a factory supplemental cooler for the new 1500's like they did on the older model. They supposedly have a few rows on top of the AC condenser that is dedicated to the transmission. This should act like an external cooler, but it doesn't appear to be sufficient to keep temps in check.

They do make a different radiator that goes with the max towing package ($560 from GMPartsClub). I'm wondering if it's worth the coin to upgrade to that, but if the Trans cooler really is built into the top of the AC condenser, I don't see how this would help with the trans temps. Just with maintaining engine coolant temps I would think.

There is no trans cooler built in to the condenser the only cooler is in the cool side of the radiator reservoir and I'm sure you can buy the external cooler like what comes on the NHT trucks that sits it front of the condenser and the hoses to connect them

It is my understanding that is not correct for these new model 1500's. If you check out the parts catalogs, you will not find an external/stand alone Trans cooler as an option for the 1500s.

If someone has more information on ordering an OEM Trans cooler and lines for a '15 Silverado/Sierra, please let me know.

This is from the 13 models but I pretty sure it should all bolt up to the 14 15 trucks to seeing that most of the changes were just to the shell and inside

post-135301-0-82034200-1440347708_thumb.jpg

Archived