Rattle/Clunk in steering column

I'm having the same issue. Iss and bearing have both been replaced and the problem is still there. Its clearly a loose part just behind the steering wheel. I've been searching online for two weeks and the closest I've come to any explanation at all is in the link below. I just found it this morning and haven't tried it yet. Will update this weekend with my findings. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Wondering what was the procedure to jack off my steering shaft,I have 2006 GMC Sierra. I KNOW it isn't a safety concern,I just don't want to hear it anymore,too busy listening to make sure drive shaft doesnt fall off again( totally my fault) i digress,how EXACTLY is it fixed? Have adequate experience in abusing myself so this proces should be an easy fix.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to get this on the net somewhere, because nothing I read was the solution for my 2011 3500. The slop I found is in the upper column, between the steering wheel and ISS. Between the ISS and the steering wheel is a collapseable section of shaft and the outer doesn't fit the inner perfect, so it has some "slop" in it.

I pulled the column(really easy actually) and disassembled it to get the upper shaft out. Then I used a punch and hammer to "stake" the outer tube of the telescopic section. I put one good dimple in the curved surface of the tube at at each end of the slip section. That took all of the slop out. I figure it was enough to get rid of the rattle, but not so much that it would prevent it from collapsing in a crash. I got it all back together and my rattle was gone.

Some of that is probably a little confusing if you've never been in there to look at it, but if you do go in I think you'll see what I mean.