Rattle/Clunk in steering column

Okay, Over the last year or so when I hit patches,pits,bumps etc. in the road my steering column has had a rattle/clunk in it. I have replaced the plastic steering column bearing and installed the latest ISS revision because there was a little play in it and I thought that would solve it but it hasn't.The play is coming from the inner shaft where the ISS bolts to under the dash. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Truck is a 03 Silverado 1500

I replaced the upper shaft in the video (ISS) and the steering column bearing and it reduced the problem but didn't fix it. The play is coming from the shaft that the ISS bolts to and goes into the bearing. Thanks

Pretty common on these years. A friend of mine had the same problem on his 03, mine does it now and then as well. He said the local mechanic told him there's a sleeve of sorts that slides over the steering shaft as it comes out of the firewall. Although I have yet to investigate it to see exactly how it works, he says the sleeve is supposed to have some grease in it and it gets dry and hence the noise. He said there's a bolt that you take out so you can slide the sleeve back and forth to get the grease back in there and that solves the noise. Gonna have to check that out one of these days.

Edited by ifixedit

Probably the same issue our 2002 Yukon had. They greased the slip joint 3 times before they finally replaced the whole thing under a "goodwill warranty repair".

Greasing it would make the problem go away for several months. I guess you could just keep doing that.

Ours was worse when turning to the left if I remember correctly.

Had the same problem on my 03 as I recall.. There was a sb way back when. They greased it a few times always came back. Eventually just replaced it with a "redesigned" unit. Easy to do. There is a slip shaft 2 bolts slide it out and new one in. One right at steering box and the other is right up at the firewall if I remember correctly. Borgeson makes an upgraded unit

• 1 month later...

I had some things come up and forgot about this thread. I would like to thank everyone who responded but the part everyone is mentioning here is the intermediate steering shaft that I just replaced with the most recent redesign along with a new steering column bearing (green). I will try to take some pictures later to show what I replaced and where the movement is.

Mine has been doing that for 265,000 miles now. Hasn't got any worse.....

I've just gotten used to it at this point.

I had a GM mechanic tell me a long time ago that the steering rattle was nothing to worry about, but if it was too annoying they would pack it full of grease. Nobody packs it full of grease anymore supposedly because they don't have the right equipment to do it anymore, but he did offer a replacement that was expensive.

I had a GM mechanic tell me a long time ago that the steering rattle was nothing to worry about, but if it was too annoying they would pack it full of grease. Nobody packs it full of grease anymore supposedly because they don't have the right equipment to do it anymore, but he did offer a replacement that was expensive.

Do you know if they were packing the intermediate steering shaft with grease or something inside the steering column?

Do you know if they were packing the intermediate steering shaft with grease or something inside the steering column?

I have no clue, I thought they accessed it somehow through the engine bay and that was it, so somewhere on the shaft. If I remember right, there was a special grease gun they used to get it all lubed up....not sure if he was pulling my leg on that though. There are numerous youtube videos about the same problem and different solutions.

Okay the bottom thing circled in red is the top of the new intermediate steering shaft that runs down through the firewall (New with no play), The top thing circled in red is the new steering column bearing. The shaft circled in yellow bolts to the top of the intermediate steering shaft then runs up through the steering column bearing toward the steering wheel. The shaft that is circled in yellow is the one with play in it but I don't know how to tighten it up...It looks like the bearing is supposed to keep it from rattling but it doesn't. I checked my other truck and it moves to but only about half as much.

Untitled_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for GM, the "solution" was to grease it in the early years, I'm pretty sure that they have a corrected part now as my 2013 does not do it. The part is called the intermediate shaft, and the posts are correct. Back in 2008 you could actually purchase the special grease gun for about 15 bucks. (It was a one shot tube that looked a bit like a toothpaste tube. It is accessed under the hood, there is nothing to tighten and no safety issue even though driving it can be a bit alarming.

• Like 1

isn't this the typical issue where they disconnect the intermediate steering shaft and just pump it like jacking off to redistribute the grease?

yes i just said that, but its because thats what its like. i had same issue as OP and took me 10 minutes to do this. i do it once per year.

and this, though i didn't pump it full of grease. i just jacked it like vid above. works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7TjXG_BAs

Edited by VikingTrad3r

• 4 years later...
On 10/6/2015 at 8:47 AM, xXZ-71Xx said:

Okay the bottom thing circled in red is the top of the new intermediate steering shaft that runs down through the firewall (New with no play), The top thing circled in red is the new steering column bearing. The shaft circled in yellow bolts to the top of the intermediate steering shaft then runs up through the steering column bearing toward the steering wheel. The shaft that is circled in yellow is the one with play in it but I don't know how to tighten it up...It looks like the bearing is supposed to keep it from rattling but it doesn't. I checked my other truck and it moves to but only about half as much.

Untitled_1.jpg

I know this is five year’s old but the solutions provided did not fix the OP issue. I have the same exact issue. I have a brand new Green column bearing as well as a new ISS.  But I still get the rattle/clunk and it seems to come from somewhere between the steering wheel and the column bearing.  I know I’m taking a long shot, but curious if the OP was ever successful in figuring out how to solve the issue. Thanks.