New Project - Building first AR style rifle

I've always wanted to build one but never really had the time with other things going on. But last night I was at a friends house and he showed me his AR he built not long ago and it really gave me the bug.

I'd really like to build one from scratch so looking to get an idea of all the parts I'll need. I'm not looking at any specific brand of parts, etc but just looking for a list of the essentials to get the main gun built.

Upper (does this include barrel, ejection port, etc)

Lower

Sights

Stock

Barrel

Are there any other things needed to get just a basic functioning gun? I know I'll need all the accessories but that will come later after I get the main gun built. I'm not sure on budget yet either but where are some good places online to get parts/accessories.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really depends on the upper or lower you buy. If you get a complete upper/lower, they typically have most of what you need. If you go with stripped upper/lower, you will need to purchase all of the internals separately and assemble it all from scratch. Check out Brownelles. They usually have pretty good guides on stuff like that. They may have schematics on their site that would break down all of the parts as well.

If I were you, I would just buy a complete carbine or rifle, whichever you prefer for your first AR.

If you really don't know what you are doing, don't attempt a complete build on your own. A complete rifle OR a separate complete lower/upper would be the way to do it until you are familiar with the platform.

If I were you, I would just buy a complete carbine or rifle, whichever you prefer for your first AR.

If you really don't know what you are doing, don't attempt a complete build on your own. A complete rifle OR a separate complete lower/upper would be the way to do it until you are familiar with the platform.

This was my plan from the start. After looking into a little more I think I'm going to go with a complete rifle for my first one. Found a good deal on a Windham Weaponry Optics Ready at Academy that I think I'm going to pick up. It's got some pretty good reviews for an entry-level rifle and all I would plan on doing to this one is replace the hand guard and put optics on it. Might add a few more goodies here and there but nothing crazy for my first attempt.

I don't want to drop a lot of money on my first one incase I don't get to shoot it as much. Plus I'm also in the market for a new muzzleloader.

I've always wanted to build one but never really had the time with other things going on. But last night I was at a friends house and he showed me his AR he built not long ago and it really gave me the bug.

I'd really like to build one from scratch so looking to get an idea of all the parts I'll need. I'm not looking at any specific brand of parts, etc but just looking for a list of the essentials to get the main gun built.

Upper (does this include barrel, ejection port, etc)

Lower

Sights

Stock

Barrel

Are there any other things needed to get just a basic functioning gun? I know I'll need all the accessories but that will come later after I get the main gun built. I'm not sure on budget yet either but where are some good places online to get parts/accessories.

I agree with justin. I bought a bushmaster a few years ago and did my build from that platform. Added some magpul goodies, rails, foregrip, flash suppressor, surefire and veridian.

20150820_195840.jpg

If you are going to buy a complete carbine for your first AR (best way to go about it until you are familiar with the platform), you are going to want to purchase a good quality carbine that is built using quality parts, and one that is built to the proper specs.

Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense all use quality parts, build to proper specs or beyond, do individual testing of all parts (not batch tested) and build their rifles the correct way. There are several manufacturers who now build AR's but most of them take shortcuts throughout the build process, their price usually reflects this. You want a firearm you can count on, one you can trust and has proven itself over the years.

The three manufacturers I mentioned also come with the correct buffer weights, recoil spring length, proper gas port sizes, and use the correct bolt and bolt carrier groups. These are just some items to take into consideration when buying an AR. The Colt options are limited to either carbine, or rifle. Both BCM and Daniel defense offer the same as well as different length gas systems on their carbines. They both offer a mid-length gas system that seems to dampen the already tame recoil on these guns and shoot a little smoother than the standard carbine gas system.

What about DPMS, Windham and Bushmaster? Again, this is my first one and will just see range use or out at the farm. I'll add a few goodies but nothing over the top.

Academy has all of these for $699 right now (the Bushmaster might be $799, can't remember). The Bushmaster is the O.R.C and the Windham is the Carbon model. Can't remember what model the DMPS is. All of these are on sale at the moment so the prices on the website are not the same as the price in the store.

I shot the Windham Carbon model at the range this weekend and I really liked the way it shot (I got to talking to the guy that owned it and he let me shoot a few rounds).

What about DPMS, Windham and Bushmaster? Again, this is my first one and will just see range use or out at the farm. I'll add a few goodies but nothing over the top.

Academy has all of these for $699 right now (the Bushmaster might be $799, can't remember). The Bushmaster is the O.R.C and the Windham is the Carbon model. Can't remember what model the DMPS is. All of these are on sale at the moment so the prices on the website are not the same as the price in the store.

I shot the Windham Carbon model at the range this weekend and I really liked the way it shot (I got to talking to the guy that owned it and he let me shoot a few rounds).

I have the Bushmaster Optics ready. It is functional. Not the greatest and not the quality they used to be. I havent had any issues other than wishing i bought one with a front site post or railed gas block.

STAY AWAY from those "carbon" AR's. They are basically garbage and are known to break. The only carbon model you should ever purchase is the M&P15-.22LR. The .223 just hits too hard for the plastic to handle on a regular basis.

Out of the models you listed, I would go with Windham Weaponry BUT not the carbon model. Windham is basically the old Bushmaster and puts out a decent carbine. They don't build to mil-spec standards but they do have a quality product for range use.

DO NOT buy the carbon model, you will be wasting your money. Whichever brand you decide to purchase, get yourself a standard forged aluminum AR.

It seems like you are looking to buy a cheaply priced AR. You should consider taking a look at the M&P 15 Sport also. It should be in the price range you listed and is fine for plinking rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

My Bushy is an older model, made in Windham ME, and i absolutely love it. Ive put aprox 4,000 rounds thru it and have had ZERO failures or hiccups of any kind. Ive run anything from light armor piercing, to russian steel case tulanmo garbage thru it, and its never skipped a beat. I cant speak to the newer bushmasters, as i have heard quality has gone diwn over the years, but i say, if u can get your hands on an older Windham model, go for it

Don't listen to any of the above, Sorry guys, but let the man build his gun.

I built mine exactly the way I wanted the last one, match 2 stage trigger, LW 14.5inch barrel, pinned the comp, installed everything accept the forward assist and dust guard on the upper.

For simplicity I will not over complicate this, but buy a stripped lower, and a upper receiver with the dust shield and FA in place.

Top sites i find really good deals on

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

http://www.rainierarms.com/

Full list:

Stripped Lower

Upper receiver complete

Lower build kit (Pick a stock you want, Magpul acs-L ect) Minus fire control group

Grip of choice

Gieselle 2G2, SSA, SSA-E, TImney, Rock River Arms 2 stage ect (Pick a decent trigger to complete the lower)

Reciever end plate of choice (stock one is included in a lower parts kit) with either HK hook loop or Quick Detach socket

Barrel - Keep in mind the diameter of the gas block and the length of the gas system (Carbine, Mid length, Rifle ect)

Flash hider/ muzzle brake/ compensator.

Charging handle of choice - If running a optic think about a BCM Mod3-4

Bolt carrier group - Do not cheap out here of all places - MP/HPI inspected, preferably nickle boron or chrome lined.

Low profile gas block and gas tube to complement the barrel

Rail ( I went Fortis REV at the time it was the lightest I could find with free float and 3 & 9 oclock rail sections)

Iron sights ( Daniel Defense fixed irons - 2.2 ounces for the set) folding backups if running a scope.

My final project circa 2013, built with my nephew in less than 2 hours

20130908_225211.jpg

Rifle will be complete.

Tools

Vice grips with tape

Upper receiver block

Moly grease for barrel

needle nose pliers

armorers wrench

Happy building, and there is a ton of youtube videos out there if you catch a snag, plenty of us have built them here, and AR15.com is a good resource.

Jerry

Fargo, ND

• 4 weeks later...

Archived