What year 6.0 Engines will fit - 2000 2500HD

Can anyone tell me what year engines will swap directly into a 2000 2500HD with the 4l80 Transmission. My engine is not blown, but ready to start looking at lower mileage engines as I just rolled over 300k, with a new 4l80 transmission. I'm not seeing a whole lot of low mileage options for 99-00, but seeing lots for 2002-2006. Will these 02 - 06 6.0 engines swap directly?

• Like 1

The blocks will be the same, but you may have to swap a few minor parts from yours to the new donor. Curious, what are you looking at used engines for? Why not just rebuild yours when the time comes? Although your miles are high, it's nothing outrageous. These motors are made for these miles.

Good to know, I have more options then 99-2000 when the time comes. I've heard of switching the intake and exhaust manifold over. But was wondering if there was going to be any major complications with going from a 2000 to a 2002 or newer. Sahls, I'm hoping I don't have to swap it for a long while, I'm hoping to pull at least 400,000+ out of this engine. If possible, I would run in to 500,000. As for rebuilding it, that isn't an option. Although I wouldn't mind a rebuild, my truck gets used in running a one man business and has to pull a 20 ft. + trailer five days a week. Which means I wouldn't have time for a rebuild, and rentals down here aren't equipped for towing as far as I know. it's much easier, quicker, and more time profitable to just swap. Then would come the question a reman or used. Sometimes I feel I would trust a used Chevy engine with 100,000 miles over a new reman engine from some of the reman companies.

Isn't there also something about the flex plate that's different? I thought I read somewhere where the crank snout is a different dimension or something like that.

Now that you mention the flex-plate, I also remember reading something about swapping the flex plate. With that said, I can't recall, but if I remember correctly I thought it had something to do with swapping a 5.3 for a 6.0 and changing the flex plate. I could be completely wrong, but that's what I seem to recall.

Any 6.0L that does not have variable cam timing or AFM should be O.K..

300,000+ miles kind of makes you wonder what's the point of a diesel anymore!

I used to be a fan of diesels, but not anymore. Granted, I tow every day, but I'm not towing 10,000 pounds. If I was towing over over 10k daily, I would probably be partial to diesels. But they just don't make sense in my books. A 6.0 is plenty capable of pulling our equipment and doesn't strain one bit. Again, if it was straining, a diesel would make sense. But I'm partial to gasoline instead, solely for the reason that gasoline vehicles that are maintained are lasting forever now days. When I scour classifieds there's broken diesels for sale everywhere that either "smoke" or "need injectors." Cost to replace injectors cost way more to repair then swapping a gasoline engine. No thanks for me.

Now that you mention the flex-plate, I also remember reading something about swapping the flex plate. With that said, I can't recall, but if I remember correctly I thought it had something to do with swapping a 5.3 for a 6.0 and changing the flex plate. I could be completely wrong, but that's what I seem to recall.

Any 6 liter out of an HD truck has the right flex plate. The early ones like the op's truck had a longer snout on the crankshaft. In 01 when gm started dropping 6 liters in front of 4L65E's they started using the standard crankshaft length like the rest of them and a spacer between the flex plate and crank. He only will need the spacer if the yard removed it for whatever reason or the engine is out of a half ton. Some early 4.8's had a goofy long snout crank as well.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by 1994Vmax

the early 6L had a shorter crank snout where a spacer is used.

Backwards. The early 6 liters had the longer crank snout making it only bolt to a 4L80E without the use of a special flex-plate on a 60e application. The 2001 and up 6 liters have the same crank snout as any other LS engine and need a spacer to hook to a 4L80E.

Edited by 1994Vmax

Backwards. The early 6 liters had the longer crank snout making it only bolt to a 4L80E without the use of a special flex-plate on a 60e application. The 2001 and up 6 liters have the same crank snout as any other LS engine and need a spacer to hook to a 4L80E.

So what your saying is I will need a flex-plate for a 2000 6.0 if going to a newer engine?

So what your saying is I will need a flex-plate for a 2000 6.0 if going to a newer engine?

No, not at all. Your flex plate off your 6 liter will work fine. If it's a 2001 or newer 6 liter it needs the spacer that goes in between the flexplate and the crank. Your engine in 2000 did not need the spacer because the snout of the crankshaft itself was longer. The only difference is the spacer and longer bolts..... the flexplate did not change provided the replacement 6 liter had a 4L80E behind it. It's just the 2001 and newer engines were available in half ton platforms whereas the iron headed ones like yours were not.

Just buy an engine from an truck or van that had an 80E ( which 90% of LQ4's were in) that has the flexplate on it. Then you don't need to worry about finding a spacer and longer bolts..... mind you GM sells them and they are not expensive.

Edited by 1994Vmax