Lovin This Truck..now to Modify

zare

Question

Brief intro..Traded in my 12 Taco TRD for this 16 Canyon SLT and loving it.

Owned full size Ram, Dakota, Ranger and 2 Tacomas.

Test drove : 16 Tacoma, 15 Frontier,15 FX4 and this 16 Canyon...

The Canyon won hands down.

post-154573-0-95047900-1455664995_thumb.jpg

New and old...Husky approved.

Added a matching cap,vent visors,running boards.

Looking for a bull/bush bar to fit..no one makes.. yet

question...has anyone found a bull bar to fit these puppies?

Brief intro..Traded in my 12 Taco TRD for this 16 Canyon SLT and loving it.

Owned full size Ram, Dakota, Ranger and 2 Tacomas.

Test drove : 16 Tacoma, 15 Frontier,15 FX4 and this 16 Canyon...

The Canyon won hands down.

attachicon.giftruck mod.jpg

New and old...Husky approved.

Added a matching cap,vent visors,running boards.

Looking for a bull/bush bar to fit..no one makes.. yet

question...has anyone found a bull bar to fit these puppies?

What specifically did you like better about the Canyon than the Tacoma? I've been driving the same Tacoma 4x4 for 17 years, it has been a stellar truck and still runs great, but it's time for something new and I'm shopping the diesel Colorado as a replacement.

Who is the canopy manufacturer I have the same color 16 SLT can't find a canopy for it any info would be greatly appreciated

I know A.R.E makes shells for the Canyon, but I won't buy one of those. Snugtop makes shells for the long bed but not the short bed. As I mentioned, I've been in contact with Snugtop for almost 6 months now...waiting for their SuperSport. They've been telling me "about a month" every month in that time. They do have 2 of their shells now available for the short bed, but not the SuperSport.

Hey all,

I just bought a 2016 GMC Canyon All terrain and was wondering if there were any modifications I could do without voiding my warranties? I was previously driving a 2004 chevy colorado 3.5l 5cylinder 2wd. Thanks for any advice

post-162210-0-77263400-1472798827_thumb.jpg

MattFL.

i liked my 09 taco hence the 12..there really wasn't anything else that competed at the time, Without going to full size.

Mitigating factors were-

Toyota- No power ports/12v in back seat for the kids (really...its 2016....)* lack of leather options, the 12 had TRD & leather option, the 2016 you have to get the complete top end package to get heated leather @ 44k (Canadian) :nonod: * Still no power seat (again its like 2016 guys)* ride was the same , no big improvement over 12* no headed mirrors & had loud road noise.* I had on the 12- muffler fail at 4 years, the alloy rims self welded to the hub(twice) (could not break rim from hub on side of road 1st time..had to tow) it needed brakes when was traded in at 80k & was very thirsty on fuel. (2016 claims better but not keen on new engine)

And dealer....VERY unhappy with local dealers attitude/sales approach/offer.

Canyon-The fit and finish of the GMC was truly better* Had everything i wanted in SLT package* quiet* The family factor rated-easier to get up into &more room for the kids* Love the styling* Remote start from factory* (taco was dealer installed with second fob..again its 2016 guys)*On Star app with remote start from anywhere..this is a big plus here where its cold.

Dealer -very easy to deal with. And really wanted my biz...went out of their way to get it.

Noted after purchase: the Canyon pulls my one of my heavy trailers much better. No frame jerking. The taco was noticeably struggling/jerking pulling same trailer...

if there was no revised Canyon i would have stayed with a 16 taco (from diff dealer for sure).

What specifically did you like better about the Canyon than the Tacoma? I've been driving the same Tacoma 4x4 for 17 years, it has been a stellar truck and still runs great, but it's time for something new and I'm shopping the diesel Colorado as a replacement.

You have a 1st gen?? How's your frame? That's amazing your frame is still intact....most of them were like swiss cheese.

Like someone already hit on some points..... We were looking for more .... Tacoma - No power seats and you can't even get 'em. The top of the line 'Limited' Tacoma only comes in double/crew cab short box with leather that only comes in one color (brown). From what I'm hearing, the leather isn't even the whole seat (but only the outter edge pieces). Fit & finish on the interior feels cheap. No remote start..... No lane departure option. Tacoma still has rear drum brakes. I don't think you can get heated mirrors.....

Toyota is very limited in what's available and what you can actually get.. "This is what we have to offer and that's it"

The Canyon? Both the Canyon & Colorado, there's more ala-carte (more or less). We have an SLT....Black leather seats and black interior. All wheel disc brakes, power seats, heated mirrors, remote start, Navigation, Apple Carplay & Android Auto, lane departure, heated seats that are controlled individually (top or backs) and the list goes on. Granted - you pay more for the extras...but at least they're available if you want them. And or not necessary to have them .....

I've always been a Toyota fan - although, their quality isn't like it used to be. The 1st gen trucks were tanks. It's a damn shame they had such frame rust issues. Even the 2nd gen trucks have similar issues. The 2007 Tacoma that I owned for 9 years, got the frame replaced this past October. Nobody really knows if they've got that figured out yet. The frame rust issue has been out there since the 1995 1st gens came out and we're 10+ years later still dealing with frame rust issues.

I will say....I never had an engine, transmission, or mechanical issue in any of the Tacomas I owned. The only electronics I had, was a radio & 6 disc CD changer. No fancy gadgets or electronics. I did have a sprinkling of issues under warranty, but nothing after that.

This is my first GMC and I pray it takes care of me like I plan to take care of it. But....we'll see!! :)

I went with the Aries 3" Bull Bar...but am probably going to have something custom made for a larger LED bar. The Bull Bar really screws with the approach angle, which isn't great to start with. Since the photo was taken, I've added a Levelling kit. I'm still waiting for Snugtop to come out with their SuperSport shell for the short bed Canyon. I've been told it is coming in about a month, every month since last September.

post-154613-0-34576800-1455724967_thumb.jpg

Archived