Sign in to follow this  
Cowpie

2.8L Dmax and the Ike Gauntlet

This was impressive. The Canyon with the 2.8L Dmax doing the Ike Gauntlet towing test and it earned the highest overall rating of any truck TFL has tested on the Ike.

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/02/ike-gauntlet-extreme-towing-test-2016-gmc-canyon-duramax-2-8l-video/

Really a respectable run. I'm impressed for sure. I'd imagine it would run great on lower elevations no problem if it can run the Ike that good...

I was surprised to see Mr. Truck have it a 19 to Andre's 23. Seems like the whole "more power" affected is score as it seems that he really loved the truck as a whole.

Edited by 15HDriver

Did I understand correctly that they had the throttle wide open for a good portion of the uphill? It's interesting to see in a test like this, but would any of you really hold your own truck wide open for minutes at a time? Is this something that is commonly done with diesels in the mountains?

I live down in the land of the flat (Florida) and haven't ever towed in the mountains, but the thought of holing my truck wide open for extended periods gives me the willies, lol..

• Like 1

it is with heavy commercial truck diesels. On tough, long grade pulls, I have had full boost going for the entire stretch. On some pulls with 80,000 lb gross, it can take quite a while to get to the top. I see no reason that keeping full boost to a 2.8L Dmax would be any different. Just like a 15L Cummins ISX or a 15L Detroit, the 2.8L Dmax is a cast iron block, wet sleeved setup. It is based on the solid VM 2.8L diesel and it really built to work. Long pulls under full boost and load are what diesels excel at.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1