2016 Sierra help

Hey everyone. The reason I'm posting about what should be an overall happy time is because my 2015 was at the dealership and thieves broke my window out, messed my seats up with glass and stole all my wheels and my plates for whatever reason and hit a few other denalis on the lot.

Luckily, they are covering this 100 percent. However, the pos scum thieves dropped the front end onto the concrete. So who knows what damage was done to the differential and everything else. I'm most likely trading it in for a 2016 all terrain slt. They let me take it off the lot and hang onto it for a day or two to make my decision.

A concern I have, is the 8 speed on this truck is all over the place. It stays in 3rd for less than a second. Before it shifts regardless of Rpms It seems to accelerate slightly before a few shifts without me pushing the pedal more to make it do that. The truck has 40 miles, the other loaner I drove for a week shifted very nicely with its 5.3 and 8 speed, but that truck had 1000 miles on it. Is the truck learning right now and that's the cause for the clunky down shifts and sporadic shifting pattern? I want to be sure I don't buy a truck with issues after what happened. 7ae108ceed9d34651a0044d999440c63.jpg4c30645934c0e7d5ce48e750201c97f0.jpgb5953b53fcc7226fb1a134d3f597b7da.jpg78a76b47139a28f6fabf38c2e2cc7f10.jpg1c68dabee7bf2a6b3e2554ec7d680ae7.jpg995fd9bf98735bb084d501668f82993f.jpgae353d3d678be76d3657295805e1ed21.jpg

Sent from my treestand using Tapatalk

Damn. Sorry. Check how old that 8 speed truck is and if it has had any updates. I think there have been a few. Hear lots if great things out of the most rescent 8 speed trucks. Good luck.

What is up with all the black dust on the fender?

Damn. Sorry. Check how old that 8 speed truck is and if it has had any updates. I think there have been a few. Hear lots if great things out of the most rescent 8 speed trucks. Good luck.

What is up with all the black dust on the fender?

Program updates? I loved the 8 speed on my rental but this one is awful. That was dust for checking if there were any finger prints

Program updates? I loved the 8 speed on my rental but this one is awful. That was dust for checking if there were any finger prints

Ok makes so much more sense now. I've actually done that before. Just half asleep and it never crossed my mind. Yes program updates.

Hopefully that'll do it, it's really bad

I would recommend them checking for any updates and then test driving it for a couple more days. Dealer should understand.

Hey everyone. The reason I'm posting about what should be an overall happy time is because my 2015 was at the dealership and thieves broke my window out, messed my seats up with glass and stole all my wheels and my plates for whatever reason and hit a few other denalis on the lot.

Luckily, they are covering this 100 percent. However, the pos scum thieves dropped the front end onto the concrete. So who knows what damage was done to the differential and everything else. I'm most likely trading it in for a 2016 all terrain slt. They let me take it off the lot and hang onto it for a day or two to make my decision.

A concern I have, is the 8 speed on this truck is all over the place. It stays in 3rd for less than a second. Before it shifts regardless of Rpms It seems to accelerate slightly before a few shifts without me pushing the pedal more to make it do that. The truck has 40 miles, the other loaner I drove for a week shifted very nicely with its 5.3 and 8 speed, but that truck had 1000 miles on it. Is the truck learning right now and that's the cause for the clunky down shifts and sporadic shifting pattern? I want to be sure I don't buy a truck with issues after what happened.

is the 2016 AT SLT a 6.2L or 5.3L?

this one has the 5.3

So you've driven two 5.3L 8 Spd trucks, one with 40 miles and one with 1000 miles and your observation is that they are shifting at different speeds with similar pedal inputs? I believe the 5.3L 8 Spd only comes with the 3.42 axle. Double check to make sure they are both 5.3L's (no offense). If they are then they should shift at the same points with the same pedal inputs.

An 8 Spd does typically take more than 40 miles to "learn" but it's not learning shift points, it's making the shift events better (smoother).

Good Luck!

So you've driven two 5.3L 8 Spd trucks, one with 40 miles and one with 1000 miles and your observation is that they are shifting at different speeds with similar pedal inputs? I believe the 5.3L 8 Spd only comes with the 3.42 axle. Double check to make sure they are both 5.3L's (no offense). If they are then they should shift at the same points with the same pedal inputs.

An 8 Spd does typically take more than 40 miles to "learn" but it's not learning shift points, it's making the shift events better (smoother).

Good Luck!

They were both 5.3s lol.. This one shifts very sporadic and is clunky, it also seems like it drags ass when it down shifts too.

Can anybody tell me if only SLT 5.3 V8s get the 8 speed? I drove only Sle and lower trimmed sierras as rentals and I feel like a dumb ass now, I thought those were 8 speeds! That has to be why I feel like this truck is shifting so strangely. It still is rough and laggy but it has 60 miles, I'd expect it to improve as it learns. It still seems very erratic and jumpy. Any help would be greatly appreciated

On the 2016 trucks if it is a SLT with the 5.3 it gets the 8sp auto. It does takes some miles for the shifts to smooth out on the 8sp and even the 6sp transmissions. There are several transmission adapt tables that take time to get setup based on how the truck is driven. My 8sp was all over the place at first, now it has cleaned up and shifts pretty good now.

On the 2016 trucks if it is a SLT with the 5.3 it gets the 8sp auto. It does takes some miles for the shifts to smooth out on the 8sp and even the 6sp transmissions. There are several transmission adapt tables that take time to get setup based on how the truck is driven. My 8sp was all over the place at first, now it has cleaned up and shifts pretty good now.

Good to know, thanks man. My 6 speed in my current Sierra has smoothed out very nicely. This 8 speed seems to actually have gotten slightly better, it's cleaned up the weird shift it was doing between 2-3.

It still has clunk into reverse, not terrible but noticeable and while just barely pressing the gas pedal, does your 8 speed like to shift 3 gears up within 5-8 mph and all shifts are above or just right under 2K Rpms? If I give the truck anything more than just touching the pedal it freaking wants to go. I mean I guess thats not a bad thing I suppose just VERY different than my 6 speed.

Also do you notice yours down shift into first right before you come to a stop noticeably? It's a very different feeling truck than my 15.

Archived