2015 Silverado Apparently can't Tow a Camper!

Well, I've been a happy owner for 11 months and 21k miles, but no longer. Started on our family vacation with our camper in tow (6100 dry weight, 7600 loaded) and made it two hours into the 7 hour trip before my AC went completely out. Made the remainder of the trip with the windows down on mostly interstate and 3 kids....not fun. Finally make it to our destination, unhook, and spend the night.

Get up this morning to run to the store and the truck starts shaking violently, throws the flashing check engine light and a solid traction control light. No idea what's going on (other than an apparent misfire issue and a blown AC), but now I have to take my truck to the dealer while on family vacation and hope it can be fixed by the time we leave in 5 days...then hope we don't get left stranded on the way back. Probably going to have to get a rental car as well, although I'm hoping for a loaner. What kills me is I bought the truck primarily as a tow vehicle for a camper!

Sorry for your troubles, but it's a mechanical item. Things can happen. I've pulled my 6,000 travel trailer with my Silverado several times now without issue. One trip was over 2hrs away and I had to go up into the mountains to get to the campground.

At least it's still under warranty and can be fixed. Good luck. Let us know what the problem ends up being

Well, I've been a happy owner for 11 months and 21k miles, but no longer. Started on our family vacation with our camper in tow (6100 dry weight, 7600 loaded) and made it two hours into the 7 hour trip before my AC went completely out. Made the remainder of the trip with the windows down on mostly interstate and 3 kids....not fun. Finally make it to our destination, unhook, and spend the night.

Get up this morning to run to the store and the truck starts shaking violently, throws the flashing check engine light and a solid traction control light. No idea what's going on (other than an apparent misfire issue and a blown AC), but now I have to take my truck to the dealer while on family vacation and hope it can be fixed by the time we leave in 5 days...then hope we don't get left stranded on the way back. Probably going to have to get a rental car as well, although I'm hoping for a loaner. What kills me is I bought the truck primarily as a tow vehicle for a camper!

Good morning volrus,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your Silverado. I apologize for any inconvenience this has cause and hope it has not spoiled your family vacation. Has the dealer been able to diagnose your truck yet? I can reach out to them on your behalf to see if there are any updates on your vehicle.

Best,

Julianne M.

GM Customer Care

Crap happens and it happened to you. Plenty of people towing with their trucks on here and no problems. Could have easily happened with another brand of truck.

Thanks Julianne. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like a diagnosis has been made today. They figured out the AC issue, but sounds like they have no idea on the engine other than "we think it's an internal issue". They said they are looking into it, but don't want to take the engine apart in fear of me not being able to drive it back when we leave on Friday. He was thinking if they could get it drive able then I could take it to my local dealer I guess. I explained that it basically has to be fixed because it has tow my camper back home 7 hours. He didn't sound very reassuring. The dealer is Preston Hood in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Another update. Header has to be taken off to get to the problem. They said it might be a lifter. Have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed. However, it sounds like they will have it done on Thursday.

If it's just a lifter then you should be OK. That seems to be pretty rare on these new engines. Hope they can get it 100% for the trip home for you

No you didn't push it too hard, this is a truck that has sold over 1,000,000 trucks of since the new body style came out in 2014. Parts failures happen, that is why there are 5yr/100k or 5yr/60k mile warranties on them.

In all seriousness, did I push the truck too hard? It just makes me sick to think they are ripping my engine apart after only 21,000 miles.

don't feel bad...my '13 Silverado was at 16k when it started knocking, by 18k they had the engine in pieces on the floor.....replaced the #8 Piston, and it was fine for another 8k, then started to knock again....truck went bye bye after that....just luck of the draw

Thought I would give another update. Turns out the lifter wasn't broke, it was just stuck. The solution was to replace the lifters in the left bank. I assume getting stuck is better than breaking?

Also, the AC hose actually split thus causing all the freon to leak out. They said it's a fairly common issue because GM tends to put them on too tight in the factory.

Archived