Compressor noise after freon added to 'blowing warm' system

1) Why would adding freon cause a compressor to seize (or partially?)?

2) Since compressor may be toast already, any down side to reclaiming the freon then adding some oil to the system and giving rechareg another try? (Still has original 1999 orifice tube)

Recently my AC started blowing less cool and them just ambient. I only drive it once/ month. I had an HVAC friend add some R134 as he watched the pressure on his gauges. He said he thought he'd like to see ≈ 55lbs. As the engine was running, he was adding R134 from the 30lb tank. He guessed he added only 1-2 lbs. (he started adding before I could get his scale out and check exactly what we were adding. :o/ ). Anyway, during the adding, there was no change to the ambient 75º output from vent, BUT the compressor started making noise and we could smell burning rubber (belt), so i shut it down. His gauge read 70 lbs.

History of AC system:

5/2013 installed new compressor (measured oil from old one and added that plus 1 oz of oil) [did not install new orifice tube or accumulator]

8/2015 system warm again so installed new accumulator* (only) and added freon. worked good until this spring 2016.

7/28/16 system warm so added freon and compressor started making racket and smoking belt!

*Accumularor was actually purchased in 2013, but not installed then. The cap seals were on in it in 2015 prior to installing, but I may have opened the caps in 2013 letting air in, but I don't recall.

1999 GMC Savana 3500 box truck 350 cid A/T. There is an auxilliary AC condensor/ fan assy in the box which has not been used for years, but it is still part of the ac system. My vague recollection is thatthe oem ac system needs 3 lbs R134 and the aux system needs an additional 1.5 lbs.

Thanks for any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived