Front GMC logo

Looks great!! What did you use to get the glue off after removing the emblems? I did it on my '14 and fought hard with the glue and ended up using one of the 3M eraser wheels but it pitted the paint in several spots. Really want to take them off again on my '17 but don't want to go through that again. May just white out the front and back this time.

I like the matching black out look did mine matching and looks great IMO. Bare tailgate it also nice I guess just not for me.

For removing the sticky residue I recommend ACNE/Alchohol pads $5 at any walmart and you will have plenty, they work great and cotton will not scratch. They are also great for cleaning black trim pieces for stuff like wax that gets on them. Another method is WD-40 and a soft as in VERY SOFT toothbrush, do not scrub and go gently. The eraser wheel may work great in the right hands but with anything electric you better have experience and not just trying it for first time on a $50000 truck.

So what type of paint did you use? Brand?

I guess I should say I have a couple of choices with my truck to change the emblem color to black or silver. I'd like to know specifically what type of paint to use and while black would be a easy choice, I'd like to see what options are available in silver if I wanted to color match.

I've used spray paint made specifically for plastics for years and I probably already have a couple of colors on hand. The confusion part of this process is the word "dip". Search plastic dip and you'll mostly find the type of plastic dip intended to dip tool handles and such, that's why I am specifically ask what type of products most people have used with success.

The front emblem will take a bug beating, I'm wondering how the plastic spray color with clear coat will hold up over time? Washings?

I wouldn't mind spending the coin for reproduction emblem although there are a couple I've found that seems to be priced in the flat out stupid range. Billet and other non-plastic emblems are a possibility I would consider but I wouldn't want the emblem to protrude significantly enough where crud would eventually get behind it and possibly dislodge it, most seem to use some type of double sided tape to hold it on.

Plasti-Dip also comes in spray cans. It's what most people use as it's easy to work with and it can be easily removed (pealed) by hand if you want to remove it. There are tons of YouTube videos on how to use it. I did my wife's Colorado emblems with it and it looks exactly like the $150 OEM emblems. Been on for 6 months and not a scratch - very resilient.

I like the matching black out look did mine matching and looks great IMO. Bare tailgate it also nice I guess just not for me.

For removing the sticky residue I recommend ACNE/Alchohol pads $5 at any walmart and you will have plenty, they work great and cotton will not scratch. They are also great for cleaning black trim pieces for stuff like wax that gets on them. Another method is WD-40 and a soft as in VERY SOFT toothbrush, do not scrub and go gently. The eraser wheel may work great in the right hands but with anything electric you better have experience and not just trying it for first time on a $50000 truck.

Alcohol pads eh?! $3.97 at my Walmart. They really work?

Sent from my iPhone

Alcohol pads eh?! $3.97 at my Walmart. They really work?

Sent from my iPhone

Yup works great for cleaning all sorts of gunk and goo and lifts it into the cotton, especially in tight spots. Handy little things to have on hand.

Or you could buy a cheap can of 3M adhesive remover and have better results.

Except you know it costs 3x as much and then you would need to also buy cotton or microfiber wipes and it would do about the same job. Sure this stuff is great if you got a butt load of adhesive to remove or do it day in and day out and would actually use 12 flOZ of it. Try it out! buy some acne pads for a couple bucks at wallyworld and use it on your black trim. Mine looks like new and yours can too.

• 1 month later...

Try this place. They are out of NY.

DeVriesSigns.

This is how they look.

Try this place. They are out of NY.

DeVriesSigns.

This is how they look.

I used the raised one's.

post-132382-0-73545900-1477925810_thumb.jpg

post-132382-0-94950300-1477925822_thumb.jpg

Looks great!! What did you use to get the glue off after removing the emblems? I did it on my '14 and fought hard with the glue and ended up using one of the 3M eraser wheels but it pitted the paint in several spots. Really want to take them off again on my '17 but don't want to go through that again. May just white out the front and back this time.

You dont need any tools or solvents to get the black adhesive off, just your fingers, trick is to pull it the opposite of what you think. It takes a bit of time but will not do anything to your paint. 3M adhesive remover works ok if the black adhesive is really thin, if it is still thick it doesn't do much if anything. I took my door mouldings off and all the emblems but the Sierra on the side and tailgate. I got all the adhesive off with my bare hands in under 45 minutes. Once you start doing it you will find a little groove and start getting huge chunks at a time! Very satisfying

Removed my emblem, used a wood burning tool to melt the plastic rivets and removed each letter. Let the larger GMC (factory chrome) emblem sit in acid till the chrome was gone. Cleaned everything up and took it to GMC and had them color match it for me.

Tell me more about the acid please. What kind? Where can I get it? How long did you leave the logo in acid?

Tell me more about the acid please. What kind? Where can I get it? How long did you leave the logo in acid?

I'll look tomorrow and will let you know. You can use bleach too (takes longer though). I left it in the acid for a few days to make sure it got it all (you'll see like chrome flakes floating), I started with bleach since I wasn't in a rush and it seemed to be working but I had to keep changing the bleach out and it took almost a week and wasn't near done. Threw it in the acid (same kind you use for pool cleaning) and in a few days I had a nice clean gray color that was left. I'll get a photo of what I used tomorrow for you.

Archived