Letter - Cycling Thermostat

After showing them the TSB which says both thermostat and radiator are covered, some debate, the service advisor called someone at GM.  That person at GM verified year/make/model/ engine RPO code, and told the service advisor it is in fact covered by powertrain warranty.  Thermostat, radiator, coolant, those little clips for the trans cooler lines, and labor.  If anyone wants help talking some sense into their service advisor on this issue, I’m happy to help.

• 4 months later...

My 2014 Sierra SLE 5.3 w/68K miles started a while back running a lil less than 210 it was used to. I was not too concerned at first but the needle was drifting cooler as time passed so I hooked up my OBDII scanner and saw it was cycling between 160-175 running down the road so I thought no biggie till I read here about the cracking radiators. I called my Dealer but was told no warranty too far out so I bought a new Thermostat and some Dex Cool and swapped it out this morning. Job went well and now I am reading 210 on my gauge and scan tool. Hopefully I caught it before any radiator damage it looks good where I can see no signs of any leak.

Thanks for the thread Guys sure makes shade tree mechanic lives easier.

Yotaman

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:02 AM, mutex said:
I have had this problem on my Silverado Midnight Edition built early 2015 and bought new on July 2015 a month ago.

I went for an oil change at 67000KM and they found my radiator was leaking. At first Dealer asked me to pay for a full repair and then I found the recall on this Forum (Thank you). The Dealer/GM Canada told me the recall was for 2014 models only and they did not want to repair it under the 'Powertrain Warranty'. They asked me to pay 50% of the repair as the initial 3 years warranty was expired. I do not understand why GM does not fully honor this warranty (Powertrain) on early 2015 models that does have the same problem as 2014 models. The GM representative told me GM was doing modifications on their truck every year, but they did repair my truck with the same parts as of the recall. I can also tell the leak was minimal and was probably there for at least a year. Although I am a Chevy fan since I am young, I lost my confidence in GM products and might go elsewhere on my next purchase.

So I would like to advise every Canadian early 2015 owners to ask the dealer to check the Radiator before the initial 3 years warranty expires.

I realize this is a old post, but did you ever get them to fix it? Canada side of things seem to be lacking in comparison to the state side.