Letter - Cycling Thermostat

I am a little confused . In TSB # 15829 It says it covers 2014 models and in the other TSB #PI1513A it says the 2014 are not covered ?

TSB #1513 is on 2014

TSB#1513A is on 2015 powertrain warranty

#15829 special coverage is on 2014 5year 100000 miles

not sure if the special coverage supersedes the #1513

just an FYI. not all 2014 trucks are included.

my 2014 gmc 1500 with 37500 miles has the smell also. Was at the dealer 1/26/17. Was told radiator is the issue. 1200.00 repair to replace radiator and thermostat, coolant ect.

long story short mine was assembled in mexico and is not included in a tsb. or special coverage for radiator leak. REALLY!!!

I'm really surprised the radiator isn't part of the drive train warranty. That's nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Tom Boswell

If for some reason it needs replaced I bought the extended warranty if for some reason they won't cover it under the TSB.

My want to have your dealer ck the vin to see if it is included in the TSB. I was charged $100.00 for diagnostics to verify it was the radiator. Cause mine was not u.s. Assembled. Funny thing is I was told Before I even dropped the truck off it was powertain warranty. it's a long story.

The letter that I received back in November stated that if I already got my radiator fix somewhere else I can get refunded the money from GM I no longer have the letter anymore

I was told to keep my receipts and if gm decided to include other vin's than I could be reimbursed. (must be done by gmc dealer) the special coverage is only a couple months old.

Dang it whomever bought my 2014 that I traded in has this problem (sorry dude whomever you are) it would steam a bit from under the front of the hood at times. Dealer said it was NORMAL they just added a bit of antifreeze at oil change time as needed LOL. These forums are great you can find out all kinds of stuff if you search around a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2014 regular cab Z71 and I have smelled coolant and noticed a slow drain from the reservoir tank for some time . I didn't receive the letter that some of you did and my dealership service dept. said there was nothing on this issued for my truck according to my vin. I gave her the TSB number that was on this thread . She called today and said the radiator was leaking after a pressure test and that they replaced the radiator and thermostat . So for everyone who has smelled coolant but didn't get a letter you prolly still could have this issue.

Edited by 355HP Z71

• 2 months later...

been smelling coolant now for some time. 45k miles and late 14 model. Ill call the dealership tomorrow but in the meantime is it possible to see this on my own? I went out with a flashlight and looked in the upper corners and didn't see any different stain color but I also dont know if its possible to see it from in front of the grill.

• 3 months later...

I bought a used 2014 Silverado, noticed the coolant smell since I purchased it. I finally found this information about the radiator and TSB 15829. I called GM customer service and was told my VIN was not affected. Took the truck to the dealer I never mentioned the TSB, so I do not know if they are aware of it or not. So after checking it they told me the radiator was leaking where the head meets the tubes like the TSB states, they told me since I was out of the 3/36 it would be $1200 to replace the the just radiator. I called GM customer service back opened a case and demanded that they have someone go out to verify whether my truck has the same issue covered by the TSB. Was told a senior adviser would contact me in 48 hours (still waiting on the call). Within 45 minutes of the call to GM the dealer called me back and stated GM contacted them and told them if I paid a $500 deductible GM would cover the rest.

I thought it was fair half price, but point being if your told your not covered it may be worth it to complain to GM and open a case you may be able to do better. Them making that offer tells me they know the problem affects more vehicles, and lets face it by taking the deal it saves them from reimbursing the $1200 if and when they include other vehicles like mine. Of course i'm sure I forfeit the reimbursement of the $500 by doing this. Oh and by the way mine was made in Mexico.