Letter - Cycling Thermostat

#15829: Special Coverage - Radiator Leak - (Nov 9, 2016)
Subject: 15829 — Radiator Leak

999999995.gif Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LD 2014 GMC Sierra LD

Reference Number: N15170099

Release Date: November 2016

Revision: 00

Make

Model

Model Year

RPO

Description

From

To

Chevrolet

Silverado LD

L83, L86

5.3 and 6.2L Engines

GMC

Sierra LD

Involved vehicles are identified on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.

Condition:

Some 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD and GMC Sierra LD vehicles equipped with 5.3L or 6.2L engines (RPO L83 or L86), may have a condition in which the cycling of the thermostat may result in stress fractures on the radiator, and may lead to coolant leaks.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 15, 2016, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 15, 2016, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Correction

Dealers are to install a new thermostat and if necessary, replace the radiator. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Parts Information

Quantity

Part Name

Part No.

Radiator

Water Pump Outlet (w/Thermostat)

Transmission Fluid Cooler Pipe Retainer

Engine Coolant

12346290 (US)

10953464 (Canada)

Note: Use the vehicle identification number (VIN) and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine which part to order.

Warranty Information

Labor Code

Description

Labor Time

Trans. Type

list distribution/regions,if applicable]Net Item

Diagnostic Time Only – No Repair Required

0.1-0.3

ZREG

N/A

Replace Radiator and Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing

Add: Diagnostic Time

0.1-0.3

ZREG

N/A

Customer Reimbursement Approved - For USA and Canada dealers only

N/A

ZREG

Customer Reimbursement Denied – For USA dealers only

N/A

ZREG

* For USA and Canada: Submit the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer in Net/Reimbursement. Submit $20.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.

** Submit $10.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.

Service Procedure

4082319.gif

Note: For this particular condition, signs of leaks can be found where the radiator tubes attach to the radiator headers.

1. Verify that the radiator is leaking. Refer to Cooling System Leak Testing (L83, L86, LV1, LV3) in SI.
    • If the radiator is NOT leaking, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.
    • If the radiator is leaking, replace the radiator and the engine coolant thermostat. Refer to Radiator Replacement (L83, L86) and Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Replacement (LV1, LV3, L83 with Thermostat) in SI.
Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicle (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin).

Customer Reimbursement

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by November 30, 2017. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Sections 1.4 and 6.1.10, for courtesy transportation program details.

November 2016

This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN:_____________________________________

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD or GMC Sierra LD, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us

TThis letter is intended to make you aware that some 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD and GMC Sierra LD vehicles equipped with a 5.3L or 6.2L engine, may have a condition in which the cycling of the thermostat may result in stress fractures on the radiator, and may lead to coolant leaks.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD or GMC Sierra LD within 5 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by November 30, 2017, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet

1-800-630-2438

1-800-833-2438

GMC

1–866–996–9463

1–800–462–8583

Puerto Rico – English

1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico – Español

1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands

1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Terry M. Inch

Executive Director

Global Connected Customer Experience

Enclosure

If you work for a dealer or GM, you really need to remove the links from your post. Does not take but a little primitive URL hacking to get to where the public was not meant to go.

Edited by O_J_Simpson
  • Like 1

I did get a letter concerning the radiator and I can't find it right now. So I did a search of recalls on "my GM" and no additional recall showed up.

Is this a recall or just an extension of warantee coverage covering this defect?

Just got the letter this past week as well... It's a TSB, not a Recall.

But, my dealer had already replaced my radiator and t-stat an oil change ago. Apparently it was known about at that time and they had found my radiator to be leaking. (I had just completed a 650 mile trip the day before and the burp bottle was empty).

• Like 1

Just got the letter this past week as well... It's a TSB, not a Recall.

But, my dealer had already replaced my radiator and t-stat an oil change ago. Apparently it was known about at that time and they had found my radiator to be leaking. (I had just completed a 650 mile trip the day before and the burp bottle was empty).

Thank you for the confirmation... I have been avoiding the dealer trying to ward off the hack job, LOL.

Glad your issue was covered.

I dropped off my truck for repair of the rusted frame and mentioned the letter regarding the thermostat.

Picking up the truck today, frame is done. They also said they pressure tested the system and no leaks, so they aren't going to do anything else. I guess I'll keep an eye on it for now. Its a lease and I still haven't made up my mind if I should buy it or move on.

• 1 month later...

just an FYI. not all 2014 trucks are included.

my 2014 gmc 1500 with 37500 miles has the smell also. Was at the dealer 1/26/17. Was told radiator is the issue. 1200.00 repair to replace radiator and thermostat, coolant ect.

long story short mine was assembled in mexico and is not included in a tsb. or special coverage for radiator leak. REALLY!!!

Edited by ron 513
  • Like 1

Yes you are reading that correctly. A new thermostat will be installed as to eliminate the cycling that is causing the problem.

Can you please explain, how a new thermostat will eliminate the cycling. Or stop the radiator from leaking in the future.

Is the new radiator to be installed an updated version or same?

Isn't that the job of a thermostat; to cycle the coolant through the radiator depending on temperature?

I guess what I'm asking is, how is the new thermostat any different?

Would a lower temp thermostat be better?

I was considering getting a lower t-stat; just always thought the truck running at 210° was high in my opinion.

Can you please explain, how a new thermostat will eliminate the cycling. Or stop the radiator from leaking in the future.

Is the new radiator to be installed an updated version or same?

Isn't that the job of a thermostat; to cycle the coolant through the radiator depending on temperature?

I guess what I'm asking is, how is the new thermostat any different?

Would a lower temp thermostat be better?

I was considering getting a lower t-stat; just always thought the truck running at 210° was high in my opinion.

I was answering his question based on the TSB. It can be found in post #17 above word for word what they are supposed to do in the situation in question. I see you have a 2015 model and the TSB above only applies to the early model 14s. Maybe there is a new one that covers older models. You would have to check with the dealer on that unless someone here knows. Apparently the opening and closing of the defective thermostats was putting pressure on the radiator and causing leaks.

just an FYI. not all 2014 trucks are included.

my 2014 gmc 1500 with 37500 miles has the smell also. Was at the dealer 1/26/17. Was told radiator is the issue. 1200.00 repair to replace radiator and thermostat, coolant ect.

long story short mine was assembled in mexico and is not included in a tsb. or special coverage for radiator leak. REALLY!!!

Before I traded my truck in my 2014 radiator was replaced under that TSB. my truck was built in Mexico