Letter - Cycling Thermostat

I haven’t looked at removing myself yet but think doing it from top is blocked by the core support right. Think grill is supposed to come out and remove through there?

I'm still pressing every avenue I can to get GM to do it.

3 hours ago, afireinside7444 said:

It talks about removing the condenser but same idea

Nice well condenser looks easy. Hopefully can do the same and slid radiator out and leave condenser. If you tackle this let me know how it goes. I’ll do the same.

16 hours ago, afireinside7444 said:

Looks like the dealer and GM agree the failed yet covered (100k PT) thermostat caused the radiator to fail so is now covered. Dropping off tomorrow

I got the same news actually, I had to go to GM dealer I bought from a few hours away but they are taking care of it.

1 hour ago, afireinside7444 said:

Ok my truck is in today under Power Train to get fixed

Sweet glad they are taking care of it. After you get the truck back keep an eye out or more of a nose out for the truck to smell a little hotter than before. I noticed this especially after towing. Maybe its just me but I am sure I smell it and guessing its because of the new stat. It is not an antifreeze leaking smell just a hot smell if that makes any sense.  

Ok thanks yeah i get that hot plastic smell

Ok its back and was covered. Im happy someone mentioned the thermostat failure covering the rad.

Now I have a 6 month old new condenser, a new rad and thermostat just hope my heater core dosent crap out.....

Edited by afireinside7444

TL;DR   2014 covered eventually

I'm a second owner of an early model 2014 Silverado with 32k mi. and 5 year/100k mi warranty will be over in August.  Took it to local dealership and asked them to look at this issue and some bearing failure noise about 2 weeks ago.  They couldn't see anything leaking from the radiator or coolant system as to why I would see steam.  They also couldn't get the bearing noise to repeat so I left with advice to keep an eye out (more appropriately a nose out).  Got the bearing noise again and this time I got it on a video and sent it to my service adviser.  He showed it to a tech and they agreed that it was worth leaving with them to find out which bearing it was.  Turned out, after a few days, and me allowing the tech to take my truck home with him, that it was the water pump bearing going bad.  While the tech was underneath the truck he noticed that there was, in fact, leaking from the lower left corner of the radiator.  The SA called me yesterday to let me know about both problems and that the WP was covered under power train warranty and that the radiator would cost me under $1k.  I gave the ok to perform the WP replacement but that I would think about the radiator since the reservoir wasn't losing noticeable amounts of coolant (I would get to it later when the weather was warmer).  Last night I spent about 30 seconds searching the internet for how to replace this radiator and found the 15829 special coverage notice and this forum topic. Called the SA the this (next) morning and told him about what I had found and within 10 minutes I get a call back to say that the radiator is covered at no cost to me and all work to be done today (that same day).  My SA gave me some story about that this must be a relatively new special coverage and that's why he didn't know about it when I asked him.  He even doubled down on the excuse when I told him that this notice was dated back to Nov of 2016.  Hopefully it was just an honest mistake but it seems unlikely that he or someone else wouldn't have dealt with this issue before.  Any way, thanks to this forum and all of its members in sharing their stories and helping us all out.  Had it not been for this forum, I would have not known to pursue the dealership to fix at no cost,  as I would never get the letter from GM like the original owner must have.  Good thing is that I did get a loaner for the week of troubleshooting and repair.

-J

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
I have had this problem on my Silverado Midnight Edition built early 2015 and bought new on July 2015 a month ago.

I went for an oil change at 67000KM and they found my radiator was leaking. At first Dealer asked me to pay for a full repair and then I found the recall on this Forum (Thank you). The Dealer/GM Canada told me the recall was for 2014 models only and they did not want to repair it under the 'Powertrain Warranty'. They asked me to pay 50% of the repair as the initial 3 years warranty was expired. I do not understand why GM does not fully honor this warranty (Powertrain) on early 2015 models that does have the same problem as 2014 models. The GM representative told me GM was doing modifications on their truck every year, but they did repair my truck with the same parts as of the recall. I can also tell the leak was minimal and was probably there for at least a year. Although I am a Chevy fan since I am young, I lost my confidence in GM products and might go elsewhere on my next purchase.

So I would like to advise every Canadian early 2015 owners to ask the dealer to check the Radiator before the initial 3 years warranty expires.

Edited by mutex
Revised input.