Sirius/XM issues

Is anyone having issues with the satellite radio going in/out intermittently even when it is clear and a blue sky out? I've taken it in and they replaced the roof antenna but the problem still exists.

Yes! Every vehicle I had thus far with satellite radio has had a Sirius tuner. This is the first vehicle with an XM. I know they are the same company but from what I understand they still operate separate satellites and the tuners connect to whatever tuner is in the vehicle. The Sirius tuners I had in 8 other vehicles were far more reliable in terms of connection and sounded a bit less compressed.

Mine tends to lose signal quite a bit. There are some hills here in middle TN and you can pretty well count on the signal skipping out regularly. I just pulled into a sonic drivein a few minutes ago and the canopy blocked the signal. I just flip over to one of my local HD FM stations which have much better quality anyway if you want to listen to music. I rarely if ever listen to XM music stations. The music signal is so compressed that the quality is about like an old AM radio. Hoping that they will open up some bandwidth one day and go to HD then it would be worth paying a few bucks for at least to me. Right now it is a take it or leave it thing for me once the free subscription runs out.

Edited by MyFavTruck

old topic i know but im having same issues in my 2017 sxm radio just goes out a bunch, had a 2015 ram that only did it now and then but my silverado does it all the time even on crstal clear days, any updates or help yet

Edited by DaveHC

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! Every vehicle I had thus far with satellite radio has had a Sirius tuner. This is the first vehicle with an XM. I know they are the same company but from what I understand they still operate separate satellites and the tuners connect to whatever tuner is in the vehicle. The Sirius tuners I had in 8 other vehicles were far more reliable in terms of connection and sounded a bit less compressed.

I just spoke with SiriusXM and they said this issue is on them and not GM. They are aware and are working on a fix and will issue credit for service but you will need to call them and complain. I am supposed to get an email back from engineering within 7-10 days. It stinks as the Sirius receiver I had in my cars since 2002 was spot on even in bad weather and never had 1 problem whereas this wears me out..

I am hoping help is on the way.

They gave me the same line of "We're working on upgrading some of our equipment to provide you with a better experience...". Ehh. Bottom line, it's really not up to par.

The rep told me it's their satellites but I am waiting to see what the engineers say.

• 4 months later...

It happens on mine as well as every other GM vehicle I've driven that's been built recently. Unfortunately, I've stopped caring and deemed it "normal".

Edited by wingsaa

• 8 months later...

My 2018 Sierra Denali HD goes out constantly.  It seems to be the same 10 stations but I can't keep them playing even staying still on a clear day.  GM says it's satellite service yet the 2015 I traded, the 2018 loaner they have me in and my wife's 2016 Acadia do not have these issues.  They have replaced my antenna but the issue persisted.  GM is supposed to be sending a rep out but it will be weeks before he gets here.  It's very frustrating.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought two 2018 GM vehicles this year. An Acadia in January and a Tahoe in March. SiriusXM is in both vehicles and works perfect with the only exception being that Bluesville comes in very sporadically in the Acadia. It comes in perfectly in the Tahoe. I’m thinking of calling siriusXM because I’m a Fox News person with the exception of I like listening to the Blues. I have had XM since 2002 and have never had reception problems of any kind, even in stormy weather, so maybe they can help me out. It is interesting that only one channel on one vehicle gets poor reception.

• 5 months later...

My husbands 2012 Silverado does this all the time.  They've replaced the radio and the antenna and wiring. Yet it still does it.  Yesterday they quoted us the cell tower issue.  Husband told them to call GM and get an answer.  Based on all of the forum's I've seen.  It appears it's the antenna and that we need an after market one.  Has anyone tried that and been successful on here?