Tranny shift points

I have been noticing that my tranny dosent upshift at the same RPM's all the time. What is really noticeable is that it sometimes wont go into OD until about 65 mph! Yesterday I checked the level, which looked ok, but when I smelled the fluid, which looked normal, it had a funny smell, not like good fluid should smell. Maybe I am just paranoid, but with only 6k left on the warranty, I am bringing it in Thursday. Anyone else notice shift point irregularities?

When you compare the shift point rpms, are you comparing it on the same road doing the same acceleration and speed? It matters how much gas you give it.

Yes, when I am driving down a straight, flat road, the truck does not go into od (4th) until about 65mph. I will let you know what happens when they check it out on Thursday.

I had exactly the same problem with my '02 1500HD CC, plus, mine would get into a slam-shift mode. It started happening all of the time, so I took it to the dealer last week. They put a new tranny in it! My truck has 13K miles on it, no towing(doesn't even have a hitch)!

Hard to swallow considering I just traded a Toyota Tacoma for this truck, I put almost $0 into the Taco in 3 years!

Get it looked at ASAP, especially before the warranty runs out!

:)

I'm bringing it in tomorrow. I know something aint right, especially considering that I have to exceed the legal speed limit to get outta 3rd gear! The tranny fluid also smells funny, like it is burnt even though it is still pink. I remember asking the service manager when I bought this truck what he thought of extended warranties. He said he strongly reccomends getting one because "if your transmission goes, you are looking at about 3 thousand bucks to replace it". Maybe he was thinking of the biggest problem for us GM owners???

No, I am not in tow mode intentionally, and the indicator does not show it as being in tow, but who knows, maybe the electronics are sending a bad signal to the tranny not allowing it to shift normally. The guy I talked with on the phone agreed it sounds like something is outta whack, I am hoping they don't try the "it is designed this way, that's normal" bs routine. I am really concerned that the fluid has that burnt smell to it, things have to get pretty hot to break down the fluid. I think most guys who know cars can detect bad tranny fluid.

Archived