Transmission Temp?

Not really scary at all...I've only ever seen over 235F once; and that was towing 6000#s, over a 6 to 9% grade, for about three miles, with ambient temperature around 100F. Most times it runs between 204 and 210...most quality 5w30 oils are good to around 275 to 300F.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Mine runs 235 F + on any day over 80F with speeds of 65 mph or over and it has no cooler while running the 207F factory thermostat. I don't tow. I don't haul.

Good to 275-300F? I disagree. https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-topics/oil-temperature-and-engine-life/

That link might not change anyone's mind but 40 years in Oil/Gas/Chemical changed mine. I've been in a few refinery engine labs and cracked a few million barrels of crude in my life. Worked a few tank fields and blended a few tanks of product. Spent my last 10 years in R & D. I've chiseled the coke out of Norton/BSA/Triumph customer crankcases when the 50 W Castrol temps hit 300 F for less than an hour. None of that my matter to you either.

To combat this condition I currently run a 180F thermostat and hold the speeds down and monitor oil temp with a scan gauge. Run Polyol Ester Oil . Coolers coming.

When I'm satisfied I can hold between 180 and 200 F I'll be less prudent. You may not agree. That's fine. I was just putting the information out there. I didn't buy anyone's truck but mine. GM would be more than happy for me to ignore it too.

If your trying to lower your trans temp, here are some options:

Generic, not vehicle specific!

Lower the activation temp of your clutch fan (or electric fan activation switch)

Install a small fan on the trans cooler.

Add an after market trans cooler.

Change to a lower temp thermostat

Add heat sinks to the trans pan

Install a larger capacity tranny pan.

Drive like a granny

Avoid towing

Edited by starman8tdc

• 4 months later...

Engine oil temps are a legit concern, even with synthetic, if you work your engine hard.  Here's mine pulling a trailer up a pass in hot weather in two different configurations:

ChartOil.jpg

The stock config (top line) for this truck (2014 6.2L) is too high for my comfort level if you want the engine to last and don't want to change your oil frequently.  This was a decent test but not a proof test--I've towed heavier loads up steeper hills than in this test so it'll easily exceed 250 in stock config with a bit tougher test.

Back to transmission temps, they do run really hot on these new trucks:

ChartTrans.jpg

It's probably not a bad idea to disable the stock trans fluid thermostat (no test data for that as I have not done it) and replace it with a lower temp aftermarket unit (I personally wouldn't eliminate it completely on the newer trucks) as well as reprogramming the fans (the spike at the end of the stock config is when traffic slowed vehicle speed toward the top of the pass--with the fans programmed no spike occurred. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2018 at 3:27 PM, Jon A said:

Engine oil temps are a legit concern, even with synthetic, if you work your engine hard.  Here's mine pulling a trailer up a pass in hot weather in two different configurations:

ChartOil.jpg

The stock config (top line) for this truck (2014 6.2L) is too high for my comfort level if you want the engine to last and don't want to change your oil frequently.  This was a decent test but not a proof test--I've towed heavier loads up steeper hills than in this test so it'll easily exceed 250 in stock config with a bit tougher test.

Back to transmission temps, they do run really hot on these new trucks:

ChartTrans.jpg

It's probably not a bad idea to disable the stock trans fluid thermostat (no test data for that as I have not done it) and replace it with a lower temp aftermarket unit (I personally wouldn't eliminate it completely on the newer trucks) as well as reprogramming the fans (the spike at the end of the stock config is when traffic slowed vehicle speed toward the top of the pass--with the fans programmed no spike occurred. 

Neither one of those charts say the fluid is not doing it's job........it's well under max.