4 inch fabtech "lift"

Wanted to do a short review of the fabtech 4 inch budget "lift" so others are informed before purchasing.

So a few months back, I purchased a 4 inch fabtech "lift" from lesschwab. (Only place my dealer would let "lift" my truck) Little did I know it was just a glorified leveling kit. Basically since they installed it, i was stuck with it. The angles are horrible and the bump steer is insane. I ordered a steering stabilizer from bds suspension, and some aluminum differential drop down pucks from CCM. Next on the list are some fabtech hd tie rods (a bit longer, thicker and way stronger then stock, recommended by fabtech with use of 4 inch lift). After i install these upgrades, and set the kit below 3 inches instead of 4, my angles will be much better. The ride is much stiffer then stock, but still rides better than my father in laws 97 ram 2500 cummins. Honestly if fabtech would of included these other parts, I would of been more satisfied. I pull trailers and couldn't go to a 6 inch lift, and I needed atleast 3 inches up front to clear my 35s that I had purchased through discount tire.

This kit includes Knuckles, keys, uca's, rear 1 inch blocks and longer shocks. These appear to be well built, and have easily accessible grease certs for maintaining. Works great for a leveling kit if set below 3 inches, and if you add a steering stabilizer, diff drop pucks and hd tie rods like I did.

I would only recommend this kit if looking to level your truck 2.5 to 3 inches, like a true leveling kit. If you want a 4 inch lift, I would recommend bds or rancho. Your suspension angles will thank you! Lol

Truck looks great, everything you said I already knew, I turn my head when I read that someone bought this "lift" you literally are buying nothing, not only that those just steering knuckles don't allow you to turn as tight, it is the same thing as cranking the torsion bars all the way.

Hate to tell you but those junk tie rods won't last 1/4 as long as the stock ones.

I have said it before but will say it again, crank your torsion bar bolts all the way, if you still need more then install keys, add Cognito upper control arms (with Spicer ball joints only!!!) add shock spacers or better yet Fox 2.0 shocks and steering stabilizer, add front diff spacers, get truck allingment done to Cognito specs and live happily ever after.

If you need more then install a Cognito 4in. lift and run it at 3-4in.

Both the Fabtech and Cognito lifts add track width, if you don't want the front tires to stick out wider then level vs lift, a lift also requires you to cut on the frame as well as possible front driveshaft vibration. Again another great reason to properly level the truck and leave it be.

The fabtech knuckles didn't increase track width. The kit came with keys, ucas, longer shocks and knuckles. and several people I work with have ran Cognito ucas, and switched them out with fabtech or kryptonite due to pre mature failiure. They only get about 15k miles before they are worn out. I went with the fabtech not by choice, but because it's what lesschwab carried and my dealership would only let lesschwab touch my truck, otherwise it would void my warranty. Also, check out the tie rod angles on cognitos leveling kits. They are way worse. In my honest opinion, if someone is going to level their truck, get a fabtech 4 inch and turn it down to 2.5. Just cranking your t-bars will result in pre mature failure. Also as i said in my above post, lesschwab screwed me over, so I've made the best of it. But so far after the changes I've made, I'm rather happy with it. Plus fabtech has a 5 year 60k mile "power train" warranty on all their products, so that made it a little better.

Thanks for sharing. Other members researching would benefit from this info.

The truck came out great in spite of your troubles. It looks proportional with the tire size and "lift". :thumbs:

A few questions that others may ask:

Fuel Coupler wheels size and offset? (they look like 20s, great looking wheels)

Also, which tires and size?

Could you provide a pic down the side of the truck to show how much the tires extend past the fender?

I went with 35x12.5r20 toyo r/t's. They have a 45k mile warranty. Great tire so far. And the wheels are fuel coupler 20x9 with +20 offset. Still had to trim the fender a bit but nothing major. Rear tires stick out about 1.5 inch and front about .75 of an inch if I had to guess. Will get a side shot for you in the day light. And thanks for the comments. Glad I could help.

The r/t' s are a little more noisy but not as bad as a traditional mud tire. I've also ran the toyo at II and i loved that tire, but i needed spmething a little more agressive since my truck sees alot more mud then most hd trucks.

Archived