33" tires with 3.42 rear?

Thanks man! Do you have the 6.2 or 5.3? I can't decide to do 3.73s or 4.10s. I'm on the 4lane and interstate frequently. So, I think 410s would be too much, gas mileage would be terrible.

I'll probably stick with 33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run at about 1900rpm at 70 on the highway. Mileage isn't bad at all. I have a 5.3.

Thanks man! Do you have the 6.2 or 5.3? I can't decide to do 3.73s or 4.10s. I'm on the 4lane and interstate frequently. So, I think 410s would be too much, gas mileage would be terrible.

I'll probably stick with 33s

You might be surprised. My buddy once had a 4:10 geared 1500 with the 5.3 (and 4-spd transmission).....with a level and 33's....and he got better MPG than any 1500 I've ever owned. Keep in mind though, I couldn't leave any of my 1500's alone, haha. A 1500 with 4:10's and 33's will be able to hold 6th gear most of the time, and it won't be working hard at all. I've noticed a similar situation with my 2500.

Only issue I'm having is, after the level, I seem to get a CLUNK in the driver's side most often on full lock but also sometimes when wheel ya turned going from reverse to drive in 2WD, doesn't do it in 4WD. Tested it in 4WD this morning.

Edited by Jaycreek7908

• 10 months later...
On 6/20/2017 at 6:05 PM, JayBentBadger said:

Parts were around $900. I got them from East Coast Gear Supply. Parts were 4.10 ring and pinion that included the Pinion seal, Pinion nut, and Crush Sleeve #GM9.5B-410-OE , Ring Gear Spacer allows use of 3.42 or 4.10 GM9.5B gears on 3.08 carrier #GM9.5B-RG-SPACER , Reverse Ring and Pinion #GM8.25IFS-410R-OE , GM 8.25 IFS Open Carrier 8.25" standard open carrier case 3.42 & up gear ratio #GM8.25IFS-CASE-E. Now I ended up buying the mini install kit. But I ended up having to buy a bearing and some other parts that were missing. May just want to get the main kit.

Just curious about the performance of your gear swap? I too have 3.08's and I'm looking to a 4.10 swap. 33" tires though. Do you think that will be too much gear? My truck is slow as hell now and i'm paying the price of not checking the gears before i bought it.

My only hang up is I'm worried about using the ring gear spacer. Everyone I've spoken with regarding them says to stay far away from them as they tend to work loose over time and then catastrophically destroy your rear end or worse cause a major accident. I personally think it should be fine for a daily commuter with occasional towing. I don't plan on going to forced induction either so they HP numbers would be nearly stock for the life of the truck. 

Any of your thoughts or impressions would be appreciated.

10 hours ago, zo6freak said:

Just curious about the performance of your gear swap? I too have 3.08's and I'm looking to a 4.10 swap. 33" tires though. Do you think that will be too much gear? My truck is slow as hell now and i'm paying the price of not checking the gears before i bought it.

My only hang up is I'm worried about using the ring gear spacer. Everyone I've spoken with regarding them says to stay far away from them as they tend to work loose over time and then catastrophically destroy your rear end or worse cause a major accident. I personally think it should be fine for a daily commuter with occasional towing. I don't plan on going to forced induction either so they HP numbers would be nearly stock for the life of the truck. 

Any of your thoughts or impressions would be appreciated.

I can't offer any advice about the ring gear spacer situation....but I really think 4.10''s would be perfect with a 5.3 and 33" tires. You'll have nice performance on the bottom end, and a final drive ratio that will actually hold 6th gear on the highway. And, if you tow anything at all, it'll hold 5th gear even better. I love the 4.10's & 6-speed in my HD. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the 3.42 gears with 6” lift and 35” tires. I went ahead and did the 4.10 OEM gears, a superchips tuner and I put a super spring on my truck as I tow an 8k lbs trailer now. It’s made a very noticeable difference when towing. I’ve got about $10k in aftermarket add ons with power steps, cover, system, etc... I wish I had just bought the Duramax to start with. Looking to sell my truck and start over with a 2020 Dmax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk