OnStar/Bluetooth & Bose system removal??

I have a 2009 Silverado LTZ. I am doing all new audio in the truck. 5 channel amplifier and new speakers/tweeters/sub. I am completely bypassing my factory Bose amp/sub.

I have 2 questions I guess. Is there anything running through those systems other than audio? I do not use OnStar at all and I want to remove that bulky bluetooth module behind the a/c controls so I have my room for my Maestro system behind my head unit (and just random wires). Also want to completely remove my amp/sub from Bose.

The idea is to put my new 5 channel amplifier in the same location the Bose subwoofer is located now, and I would like to remove the Bose amp as it's just unnecessary.

I just wanted to make sure there is nothing else associated with the bluetooth module other than the OnStar and I won't lose any other vehicle functions, like maybe GPS for the compass or something.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any pic's of the bose amplifier mounted in the extended cab 1500.???

I know the speakers say Bose, so I'm assuming from what I read that it has an amp also. I think the system sounds like ass and would like to replace some components, i.e the amp with a couple of good amps that I already have then better speakers if necessary..

If there is a Bose subwoofer installed it would be nice to know where that's located as I can't hear anything that sounds like a real subwoofer in my cab.

I would love to find the factory manual for this truck in paper form, not digital disk. Then I could see all this stuff without having to ask questions.

Edited by RivGuy

On 7/13/2017 at 3:09 PM, TheFlyingTraut said:

I have a 2009 Silverado LTZ. I am doing all new audio in the truck. 5 channel amplifier and new speakers/tweeters/sub. I am completely bypassing my factory Bose amp/sub.

I have 2 questions I guess. Is there anything running through those systems other than audio? I do not use OnStar at all and I want to remove that bulky bluetooth module behind the a/c controls so I have my room for my Maestro system behind my head unit (and just random wires). Also want to completely remove my amp/sub from Bose.

The idea is to put my new 5 channel amplifier in the same location the Bose subwoofer is located now, and I would like to remove the Bose amp as it's just unnecessary.

I just wanted to make sure there is nothing else associated with the bluetooth module other than the OnStar and I won't lose any other vehicle functions, like maybe GPS for the compass or something.

Thanks!

The one thing I can think of off the top of my head are the door chimes, turn signal indicators, and warning sounds (seat belt chime and low fuel dings).  All of those go through the stereo system on my 2008 GMC Sierra Denali.  There was an adapter which I purchased which allowed me to keep the door chimes and factory noises while changing the stereo.  

I might leave the bose amp, and just run the wires to the pre-amp portion of the new amp and use the new amp to power your new speakers.  This way, everything flows through and you are taking the raw audio coming out of the amp, into your new amp.  The new amp powers everything and you can keep crossover controls, etc. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, RivGuy said:

Does anyone have any pic's of the bose amplifier mounted in the extended cab 1500.???

I know the speakers say Bose, so I'm assuming from what I read that it has an amp also. I think the system sounds like ass and would like to replace some components, i.e the amp with a couple of good amps that I already have then better speakers if necessary..

If there is a Bose subwoofer installed it would be nice to know where that's located as I can't hear anything that sounds like a real subwoofer in my cab.

I would love to find the factory manual for this truck in paper form, not digital disk. Then I could see all this stuff without having to ask questions.

The amp in my 2008 Denali, is located under the center console, and to get it out, you have to remove the entire center console.  It isn't complicated, but it takes time.  I replaced my amp when I thought it had gone bad.  Turned out I just needed to have it reflashed by a dealer after my battery died.  

I think the Sub is actually a 6.5 or so speaker with a crossover mounted in the dash.  Mine is at least.  It doesn't sound like a real sub because it isn't a real sub, its a speaker setup to put out a small amount of extra base.  

Edited by FourthandShort