is this trailer to much?

Hey guys the wife and I are in the market for a travel trailer, the trailer we like a the shadow cruiser 289RBS it has a dry weight just over 6900lbs and is 34ft long , my current truck is a 16 Silverado 1500 double cab 5.3 6spd 3.42's. Would I be ok towing this I know its within GM's tow rating just the trailer is pretty long, the truck is a lease so it be getting rid of it within two years then possibly step up to a 3/4 ton gas. So my question is would I be ok towing that trailer for a season or two? Has anybody towed something that heavy/long with a similar truck? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Thanks-Mike

Short answer is probably yes with a wdh. You can get by. The challenge (I have a similar size trailer and truck) is the cargo capacity of the truck. It's difficult but if you have a 3/4 in you future. Yeah you'll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah thats what I figured how does your truck do with sway control?

The truck runs fine and handles great. It just runs at higher rpms at 9mpg. I just am always mindful to try and keep the tongue weight between 7-800 lbs. now that we go a few times a month I just guesstimate. I added bags to the rear a few months ago, it eliminated some of the bounce over bumps. Wasn't too bad, I just knew I was running it at max payload and wanted to make it as safe as possible.

I pull a 34' TT with a dry weight of 6858#. Ballparking around 8200# loaded. Same setup (5.3L/3.42).

The truck handles trailer very well. My only complaint is the bounce. My tongue weight is pretty heavy, so I would guess I'm over payload and the soft GM suspension just doesn't cut it.

We've done a few local trips, and it's great. I've considered adding Roadmaster suspension or something else, but my lease is up next year.

I'm mainly looking into a 2500, or (gasp!) an F150 with HD tow package. Doubtful I'll do another 1/2 ton GM.

I pull a 34' TT with a dry weight of 6858#. Ballparking around 8200# loaded. Same setup (5.3L/3.42).

The truck handles trailer very well. My only complaint is the bounce. My tongue weight is pretty heavy, so I would guess I'm over payload and the soft GM suspension just doesn't cut it.

We've done a few local trips, and it's great. I've considered adding Roadmaster suspension or something else, but my lease is up next year.

I'm mainly looking into a 2500, or (gasp!) an F150 with HD tow package. Doubtful I'll do another 1/2 ton GM.

$150 airbags in the rear will make that bounce go away.

Would I be ok towing this

If you do a quick search this has been a topic of discussion a lot recently. my short answer without getting into GVWR and GCVR numbers and tongue weight, etc... would be a very hesitant yes as long as you don't go far and have a good weight distro hitch with built in anti-sway. Also have a good brake controller installed if you don't already have one integrated. Since you are leasing you just need to take it slow and easy until your lease is up. my recommendation based on being in your seam boat is to upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived