Front End Vibration

I changed out the front wheel bearings not to long ago and still had stock wheels. After I changed them I noticed a slight vibration and thought mabey since it has new parts I need to change other things aswell. Got new rims and tires went from a 265 to a to 285 and 17 inch rim. Vibration is really bad now. And today I changed all four balljoints and it does feel better but its still very noticable. I also have a steering dampener on it already. Im at a loss any info helps.

Its at 60-75 but like I said it varies sometimes at 65 it feels smooth as it should other times it wont.

maybe you got a bad new hub? brake calipers are releasing when brake pedal is released? rest of the steering/suspension seems fine (like bump stops, shocks, inner & outer tie rod ends, idler and pitman arms)?

I doubt or at least hope its not a bad bearing. Brakes work just as they should. Have new shocks tierods done not to long ago but did notice they were kinda loose as in they had play in them. Havent changrd out the idler or pitman arms. You think that could cuase the vibration? Im also thinking about the rotors because I do shale when I brake aswell.

Edited by InvisibleBlack

sure, rotors could cause vibrations. I would measure them for runout before buying new ones, though, but I also hate just throw parts at my truck hoping for them to fix the problem.

Man tell me about it. Its a guessing game. I was informed that I could get them resurfaced at a autoparts store im going to call around to see if they still offer it.

loose tie rods can cause intermittent vibrations and at different speeds depending on the road surface

Well ok looks like im chaning the tie rods soon another 150-200 bucks and the alignment. Why are trucks so expensive haha.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions guys lools like im just gonna have to keep trying or take it in so someone can take a better look at it.

Edited by InvisibleBlack

Invisible,

Stop changing parts on guesstimates until you diagnose the vibration! Some of us are trying to save you money.

At 60 to 75 mph is where tire / wheel balances come into play, Silverradosid was on point about the tie rod possibilities. Loose lateral steering components like tie rods, idler arms etc are factors also. Have a skilled person inspect for loose front end components. Anything that has slop, ....change it.

Seeing you have "changed everything",.... if you still have any vibration at that speed, balance the tire / wheels down to at least a 1/4 ounce accuracy. If you feel vibration in the seat of you pants, balance the rear wheel / tires.

Am I the only one who stopped at "I changed the front hubs and noticed a slight vibration"? Sounds like you caused this with the hub install possibly?

You didn't state if you had a vibration before or just bearing noise.

Invisible,

Stop changing parts on guesstimates until you diagnose the vibration! Some of us are trying to save you money.

At 60 to 75 mph is where tire / wheel balances come into play, Silverradosid was on point about the tie rod possibilities. Loose lateral steering components like tie rods, idler arms etc are factors also. Have a skilled person inspect for loose front end components. Anything that has slop, ....change it.

Seeing you have "changed everything",.... if you still have any vibration at that speed, balance the tire / wheels down to at least a 1/4 ounce accuracy. If you feel vibration in the seat of you pants, balance the rear wheel / tires.

Yea im not throwing anything els on it besides the tierods, like I said im going to get somebody to look at it. Also going to take the wheels to get the balance checked on them. But the balljoints I replaced were beyond shot so they needed to go either way. And tie rods feel loose so theres that aswell. And I will tell you this, the vibration got dampened significantly after the new balljoints were put on but you still feel it. Im also thinking since the tires are bigfer mabey the components need to be changed since they are heavier? Just a thought though Edited by InvisibleBlack

Am I the only one who stopped at "I changed the front hubs and noticed a slight vibration"? Sounds like you caused this with the hub install possibly?

You didn't state if you had a vibration before or just bearing noise.

Very very very slight vibration but loud noise before I did the hubs but I seriously doubt I messed something up theres not much you can mess up doing hubs that I can see.

When you add "oversized tires" you add oversized problems.

When people install oversized tires / wheels, they "amplify" road vibrations (lose vehicle power) because they are increasing the overall rotating mass of the tires / wheels (which could be out of balance / or tires out of round). Every vehicle has specifically designed suspension parts as well as body mounts to dampen road vibrations. Start making modifications without the knowledge of what it will effect, ...will cause driveability problems going down the road.

Well my brother has a 2500HD answell got it stock like me and added the same size tires his truck runs smooth as can be. I knew about power loss and what not. And adding bigger tires really dosent seem like something that would mess up the trucl or requires high knowledge. Well ima keep at it see what happens.

• 2 years later...

So I have a 2014 chevy 1500 4x4 i just recently experienced some vibration issues in my front end like as if I was running off the road.  You know the sound of the tumble strips.  And I checked everything from my tires to my front end tie rods ball joints CV shafts. ect.   My issue ended up being my torque converter.   These 2014 chevys call for dexron 6 but its causing that vibration issue because it messes with the torque converter.   This came from a professional at chevy dealer ship.  To fix the issue you'll have to do a full transmission flush and then put dexron HP in replace of dexron 6.    99% of the time you will not have to replace your torque converter.  Just a flush with the different fluid.  Remember DEXRON HP