Paint delamination

My brother in law has a 2013 Sierra Denali with this paint issue. Dealer in Kansas denied claim. said rust has to go all the way through. Has anyone seen this before? Car has never seen salt or anything else.

80-img_3909_3d742cc355b02584971c9641c5d6

80-img_3910_483efb06322825e64d27296eb771

80-img_3911_2378912b8bc3ae7dc536e79108e7

80-img_3915_a47ac14882b5f9ba6c5e37f2bf20

47 minutes ago, redvett said:

It's from stones hitting the leading edge of the windshield opening.  Thats wear & tear same as front of hood.

In my case, the leading edge of the roof was 3M'd.  The paint lifted off, stuck to the 3M and rusted underneath.

And meanwhile, my dad had the EXACTLY same issue happen on his 2010 Silverado but he managed to get GM to fix it under warranty.  They ended up stripping the front half of the roof and having it resprayed.  The service manager at our dealership admitted that a few years of the trucks had the roofs badly prepped for paint.

Keep in mind that a rock chip should just damage the location of the impact.  I know what those look like as I have plenty of them on my hood around the 3M, and even through the 3M.  A rock chip shouldn't cause entire patches of paint to lift off.

What the original dealer said - is that the cab was dipped in some chemical, and the line (production line) didn't wait long enough for it to dry. Apparently he has seen this in 2013s and GM is denying claims. 

5 minutes ago, HyperX said:

What the original dealer said - is that the cab was dipped in some chemical, and the line (production line) didn't wait long enough for it to dry. Apparently he has seen this in 2013s and GM is denying claims. 

Based on my experiences, I've seen this in 2009 and 2010 trucks as well.

The process is completely automated and the body is dipped in a tank with bonderizer and is electrically  charged it is no a conveyor and then goes through an oven for approximately 20 minutes at  280F. The assembly line runs at a steady rate so the  waiting to dry is B.S.  

17 hours ago, redvett said:

The process is completely automated and the body is dipped in a tank with bonderizer and is electrically  charged it is no a conveyor and then goes through an oven for approximately 20 minutes at  280F. The assembly line runs at a steady rate so the  waiting to dry is B.S.  

I figured he was BSing my brother in law. In either case, it's pretty bad for a 2013. Arghh..

Archived