Advice needed on aFe intake noise

I installed the same aFe CAI on my 2015 Silverado 6.2 and have the exact loud sound/noise that you described. I may very well go back to the stock intake and modify the filter housing.  I think I'll try to smooth out the air flow by changing out the corrugated connections with smooth rubber connectors  and install an high flow aftermarket filter.  I was looking for more MPG than anything else but the noise can be quite annoying.  Maybe I can make up the HP/MPG in the tune and exhaust.  Time will tell.  Thanks for the post.  I wasn't sure if it was just me .  

• 3 years later...

I know this is a older post but thought I should throw in my experience with AFE intake. 

So I also installed a AFE cold air intake in my 2018 Silverado 5.3L.

I think its a pretty noticeable difference compared to the stock unit which is of course a positive. 

But ... I also am going to remove it and switch to a different aftermarket one or put the stock one back with some alterations. 

The noise it makes on hard throttle is just awful. 

I don't mind "loud" but it doesn't even sound good ! It sounds like the engine is screaming "please stop this is bad " haha !! 

I am definitely disappointed in the product for the cost. 

Maybe someone can use it that will like the sound . It's 3 months old so shame for it to go to waste. If anyone is interested feel free to reach out.  

[email protected] 

12 hours ago, Alan Feyler said:

I know this is a older post but thought I should throw in my experience with AFE intake. 

So I also installed a AFE cold air intake in my 2018 Silverado 5.3L.

I think its a pretty noticeable difference compared to the stock unit which is of course a positive. 

But ... I also am going to remove it and switch to a different aftermarket one or put the stock one back with some alterations. 

The noise it makes on hard throttle is just awful. 

I don't mind "loud" but it doesn't even sound good ! It sounds like the engine is screaming "please stop this is bad " haha !! 

I am definitely disappointed in the product for the cost. 

Maybe someone can use it that will like the sound . It's 3 months old so shame for it to go to waste. If anyone is interested feel free to reach out.  

[email protected] 

I put a K&N on my 2001 GMC. I loved the noise. It sounded like my 65 GTO. When I got my 04 GMC I still had the 01 air box and was starting to get annoyed with the constant noise. Happens when you get older. I drilled holes in the air box. I know it’s supposed to cut down on horsepower sucking hot air. The seat of the pants didn’t notice. Instead of swapping boxes according to my mood I bought plugs. On trips on the highway quite. Going back an forth to the shop open. I even did the same with exhaust. I put on a couple super trapp adjustable mufflers. Later I had a y put on the exhaust. One side exit to the side with a flange cap, loud open. Capped stock on trips. Now everything is quiet. My avalanche is the first without exhaust. I get a twinge once in awhile, but it’s still stock. Of course with these new trucks anything will throw a light. So tread carefully.