Advice needed on aFe intake noise

Just installed the aFe Momentum 51-74104 dry filter intake on my 2015 6.2L Silverado.  It's dead quiet at low throttle and louder at heavy throttle, but sometimes it makes this booming resonance noise that drives me crazy, even when barely accelerating.  It's much louder than the normal increased sound from heavy throttle.  Anybody have any advice on how to get rid of the noise or where it's coming from?  Thanks.

Just installed the aFe Momentum 51-74104 dry filter intake on my 2015 6.2L Silverado.  It's dead quiet at low throttle and louder at heavy throttle, but sometimes it makes this booming resonance noise that drives me crazy, even when barely accelerating.  It's much louder than the normal increased sound from heavy throttle.  Anybody have any advice on how to get rid of the noise or where it's coming from?  Thanks.

Think we need a sound clip. My air raid full kit defiantly made some more noise but it was more like a whooshing/low growl sound that was not too bad at all. After I installed gm borla cat back exhaust I can't even pick out the sound. I only have a touring exhaust so it is not that loud at all.

I also have a 6.2. It made no noise unless I was around 2k RPM.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the V4 drone...it's definitely throttle related.  At light throttle you can go all the way up through the rev range without it being loud.  As soon as you give it a hard stab of gas it's immediately a loud engine noise, it does kind of sound like a performance exhaust.  It's loudest around 3500 rpm but again that's only with mid to heavy throttle.  I'm starting to think that this is normal for this intake, it's a 51-74104 aFe Momentum GT.  There's an opening in the front of the air box that's oval shaped, about 2" x 4", and they give you a rubber plug for it.  I have the plug in, and also plugged a 3/4" hole in the bottom of the air box, but no difference in sound that I can tell.

I have the exact same intake on a 6.2L and don't recall a noise like you are describing..I don't have the plugs either. I have also switched out the exhaust and will say the Magnaflow 12909 at tones higher than 2k overrides much of the intake... I will take a closer listen to see if I hear your described sounds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've emailed videos with sound clips to aFe asking for help, and they said they'd have to try to find a 6.2L and see if they can hear it in person for themselves.  I'm wondering if this is the way it's "supposed" to sound...the more gas you give it, the louder the engine noise gets.  But I've had aftermarket filters before on other vehicles and don't seem to remember it being this loud.

By installing the afe air intake you removed any sort of baffling/sound resonance chambers that kept the stock intake sound hush hush.

I have an open element intake from k&n and it’s quiet under normal accel but certainly louder under more aggressive throttle, it’s what air intakes do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is just part of the intake nothing can really be done to quite it down.  I have same sound but when I put the rubber plug in it made it a little quieter but I still hear it.  I also have a Corsa exhaust and the v4 is turned off so the noise isn't from V4 drone.  With the exhaust it isn't that bad to me.  I really only here it when I step on it but I think it sounds good with the exhaust.

I think it sounds good too, when I'm in the mood for it.  It's actually kind of nice as far as that goes, maybe even something you don't get with a performance exhaust - as long as you don't punch it, it sounds quiet as stock.  Especially helpful for when my wife is riding along...

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 3 weeks and 500 miles I removed the aFe intake and reinstalled the factory air box.  Guess I'm too old for a louder engine.  I must have spent about 20 hours experimenting with ways to quiet it down, but no luck. Bought some industrial sound deadening foam and wrapped the intake tube and air box but it made no difference at all.  I also lined the inside of the fender well, tried it without the air box (just tube and filter), and with the wheel well liner removed.  Nothing made any difference.  Working on a return but if I can't return it, I'll be looking to re-sell it...fits 5.3L and 6.2L trucks.

Edited by mikepol2

I had looked into why the stock air cleaner/intake tube was blamed for approx. 10 hp.  Almost everyone puts the blame on the big acoustic resonator.  I'm not so sure.  There are no "baffles" in the entire air box system.  When I looked into flow thru corrugated tubes, I found that the flow is drastically restricted by the corrugations.  There are two sections of corrugations in the air box.   None of the aftermarket systems have corrugation connector sections.  A utility knife and some aftermarket connector tubes might give you the same hp gains. 

• Like 1

Well after 3 weeks and 500 miles I removed the aFe intake and reinstalled the factory air box.  Guess I'm too old for a louder engine.  I must have spent about 20 hours experimenting with ways to quiet it down, but no luck. Bought some industrial sound deadening foam and wrapped the intake tube and air box but it made no difference at all.  I also lined the inside of the fender well, tried it without the air box (just tube and filter), and with the wheel well liner removed.  Nothing made any difference.  Working on a return but if I can't return it, I'll be looking to re-sell it...fits 5.3L and 6.2L trucks.

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spurshot said:

I had looked into why the stock air cleaner/intake tube was blamed for approx. 10 hp.  Almost everyone puts the blame on the big acoustic resonator.  I'm not so sure.  There are no "baffles" in the entire air box system.  When I looked into flow thru corrugated tubes, I found that the flow is drastically restricted by the corrugations.  There are two sections of corrugations in the air box.   None of the aftermarket systems have corrugation connector sections.  A utility knife and some aftermarket connector tubes might give you the same hp gains. 

Not a bad idea.  I did some research on the resonators on the stock box also; apparently one reason they're there is to allow the backpressure coming OUT of the throttle  body (which is mostly sound) somewhere to expand, instead of slamming into the air that's trying to enter the throttle body.  I may try to line those two corrugated sections with some flexible tubing or something.  Too bad because I like the performance of the aFe intake, especially the throttle response.

A couple updates:

1)  Worked out a deal with another forum member to sell the intake.  He's getting a practically brand-new intake for a good price, win-win.

2)  Beware of Moore Racing Technology in Nevada who I bought this intake from.  aFe actually said they would accept the intake back as a return, but I would have to do it through the seller.  After two emails, multiple unanswered phone calls, and a Facebook message that was read within minutes of me sending it, MRT has never responded to any of my attempts to communicate with them.

3)  I instead modified the stock airbox by cutting out some of the stock filter box plastic that blocks airflow in from the fender well, and installed a Green Filter #2006 drop-in oiled filter into the stock airbox.  Although it doesn't feel quite like the aFe did, it definitely feels better than stock, especially with throttle response.