Back in a GM again and it feels good.

travis73

Hi all, so in 2015 after many years of owning all GM vehicles I decided to try something different so I bought a Ram, It was an ok truck but boy am I glad to be back in a GM. Here is my new 2018 GMC.

CIMG3400.JPG

CIMG3401.JPG

45 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

What kind Engine is in this "Shorty" why did you choose this engine?  What Ram are you comparing it too?  Thanks!  Glad you came back...

It's a 5.3L with 342 gears,  I chose this engine because I had a similar set up in my 2011 GMC Sierra and loved the way it worked, also I am not a fan of the 4.3L engine. The Ram I am comparing it to was my 2015, it was a reg cab short box too, it had the 3.6L pentastar engine with 355 gears.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, travis73 said:

It's a 5.3L with 342 gears,  I chose this engine because I had a similar set up in my 2011 GMC Sierra and loved the way it worked, also I am not a fan of the 4.3L engine. The Ram I am comparing it to was my 2015, it was a reg cab short box too, it had the 3.6L pentastar engine with 355 gears.

Ok, great thanks!  How do you feel honestly about the pentastar engine on power/mileage etc? 

1 minute ago, mookdoc6 said:

Ok, great thanks!  How do you feel honestly about the pentastar engine on power/mileage etc? 

I honestly loved the 3.6L engine, it was very smooth and quiet and it had almost as much get up and go as my 5.3L does, as for milage it was better if I was just jigging arround but the 5.3L gets better highway milage. The Ram was a good truck, it just lacked rear suspension, and the front suspension was terribly rough, it was an enginering problem because my truck had the same suspension under it as a full size truck with a hemi, and since the pentestar sat so far back and was so much lighter it made the front end over sprung, basically the worst riding pick up I've ever owned.

22 hours ago, travis73 said:

I honestly loved the 3.6L engine, it was very smooth and quiet and it had almost as much get up and go as my 5.3L does, as for milage it was better if I was just jigging arround but the 5.3L gets better highway milage. The Ram was a good truck, it just lacked rear suspension, and the front suspension was terribly rough, it was an enginering problem because my truck had the same suspension under it as a full size truck with a hemi, and since the pentestar sat so far back and was so much lighter it made the front end over sprung, basically the worst riding pick up I've ever owned.

Wow!  Thanks for the dissertation on the short comings with the RAM V6 setup.  We are battling out on GM'S new platform and if the 4.3 stays or goes DODO.  So I wanted to see your opinion.  I am not much of need POWER guy either it just never seemed beneficial or Dollar sense to grab GM'S 4.3 V6 even though I don't need a V8.  If it was presented to me same exact truck everything and gearing.....3K cheaper yeah, OK.  But it's not that way.

I think the RAM 3.6L is "OK" but is not even truck material worthy but it seems they nailed it with the 8speed mated to give it the overall performance....Unfortunately, the placement on chassis is off.  I think GM nailed the new iteration 4.3L GDI "truck engine" only problem is nobody wants to buy it or when it's 2 out of 20 it starts costing GM money to offer it.  

• 1 month later...