2006 Avalanche - Replaced ABS Module - Need programming?

I just replaced my ABS Module in the 2006 Avalanche and am getting U1000 Loss of Serial Communications for class 2 and C0558 Calibration data not programmed.  I was told that a new ABS replacement wouldn't need to be programmed but the DTC is saying otherwise.  Am I missing something or do I actually need to take the vehicle to GM and have it programmed?

On a 2002 Suburban, you can replace the ABS module - but you MUST have it reprogrammed by the dealer. 

If you want to save a bunch of time and money, just ship your defective unit to one of the repair guys on eBay, and have them fix it. Its about $50, and doesn't require a re-program at the dealer. Plus they offer a warranty. 

$40-$60 for the repair: 

Even if you cant return the new unit, it will still cost less to fix your old one and re-use it, rather than a re-program. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2006+avalanche+abs+module.TRS0&_nkw=2006+avalanche+abs+module&_sacat=0

Edited by starman8tdc

Yeah, I already tried the repair route, no go.  Spoke with one of those e bay repair shops at length.  Not all of them are rebuild able.  Most modules in this era are Kelly Hayes 325, mine is a Kelly Hayes 30 which is not repairable.  Had to resort to buying a brand new one for 400.   I guess it's off to the dealer, much as I suspected.

I did check e bay as well as Amazon.  The closest I found on Amazon was for the Kelley Hayes 325, so it was either GM for $749 or Rock Auto for $400 for the Kelly Hayes 30.  Looks like 375-400 is the cheapest to find it.  I did think about going to the junkyard but I'm always hesitant putting in used electronics... might have ended up in the exact situation using a used one.  Plus the Kelly Hayes 30 module was only used in about 10% of the vehicles for that year, so, just went with new.

Ya, sounds like you got it under control. You followed all the right steps. I went through the same thing, but mine was repairable. I fixed broken solder connections twice before sending it for an overhaul that included a new internal relay. Haven't had any problems since. 

Oh, the things we will do to eliminate that little ABS light on the dash.