I am currently replacing the entire brake system on my 1995 GMC Safari SLX 2WD after my brakes failing after a brake fluid flush/change in which I found motor oil or something of the sort in the master cylinder, My only problem is finding a new ABS Unit, Kelsey Hayes RWD Antilock brake system. I was just wondering if i can fit an ABS from a newer vehicle or another vehicle from similar years because it is ridiculous trying to locate the same one. I know the GMC astro and GMC safari vans between the years 1988-1995 have the same unit but surely another unit will still do the same job without any problems.

Also is it actually necessary to replace the ABS unit because of oil damage to rubber components because im not sure on if oil will contaminate the ABS.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Engine oil or similar products attack all neoprene first in the brake system. What you might be seeing is water / brake fluid contamination.

But not being sure, I would do what starman suggested.

Flush "ALL" the brake fluid out until it looks like a "urine color". I use at least 1 quart of brake fluid when I do a brake system flush.

DO NOT EVER pump bleed brakes on any ABS controlled system or the ABS unit will lock out the brake channel being bled. You do not have the expensive tool to release that ABS solenoid valve. Only "suction bleed" the brakes.

Start at that point, ...and stop changing parts that might not have to be changed. We're trying to save your money.

Archived