2014 Silverado Tailgate bushing

I have a 2014 1500 crew cab, i just noticed the tailgate has a bushing on the right side hinge point that is crumbling and falling out. Tailgate is the "anti-slam" variety, not sure if this bushing is critical to the anti slam working or just keeps the tailgate securely in place.

Does anyone have the part number for this bushing? I have not pulled the tailgate off yet to see if there are bushing on each side, i only noticed the one on the right side but if there are more than 1 i might as well replace them all.

Thanks!

I’ve been through about 4 of these since the truck was new. I have a video on YouTube about it and how to prevent it from breaking again. I figured out it the part the bushing slides over on the tailgate was bent and causing the tailgate bushing to break. Here is the YouTube video. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, catpartsman said:

I’ve been through about 4 of these since the truck was new. I have a video on YouTube about it and how to prevent it from breaking again. I figured out it the part the bushing slides over on the tailgate was bent and causing the tailgate bushing to break. Here is the YouTube video. Hope it helps.

I found your video yesterday I'm sending the link to my dealer my truck is going on #4 as well.   Have they stopped breaking since you fixed this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:28 AM, catpartsman said:

Yes. No more breakages on this bushing. My dealer said if it breaks again, they are going to replace the tailgate since the “hinge” is a factory welded part and can’t be replaced.

Thanks for your reply, i would have been cursing myself and very pissed if the $40 bushing broke again shortly after putting a new one on. I wonder if that is a factory defect or a design flaw that is somehow causing that U shape piece of metal to bend over time? How did you end up straightening out the U bend?

• 6 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 10:34 AM, catpartsman said:

The dealer fixed it when I took it in and actually showed them what was wrong. They said it looked as if it was a factory defect to them.

Did they replace the tail gate or just bend that back? Im about to get bushing number 3.

Just straightened the piece on the tailgate. They told me if it broke again they’d try to get GM to replace the whole tailgate. So far, not another problem with it. I also added the DeeZee tailgate assist spring though. I’m sure this has helped with it not breaking anymore too.

I had to replace my bushing about 2 years ago. I also have the easy open tailgate. I felt over time, it was getting weaker and weaker. Sometimes it would drop kinda fast. I added the Dee-Zee tailgate assist about the same time i added the assist shock. No tailgate drop since then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...