New Truck Owner

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of looking for a truck. I have only driven 10 years and my first car was a 93 Jeep GC. After I improved my financial situation I purchased my 2012 Camry that I still have and has been paid off for two years. A main factor in that purchase of course was the MPG as I upgraded from around 15 to a solid 27 (both combined). With that being said, there are some aspects of my Jeep that I miss.

One hobby I have is that I like to go fishing. This includes deep sea (occasionally usually summer months) and local pier fishing in southern California. I tend to bring a considerable amount of gear since I typically do this activity with several people and I do not want to be unprepared when there are 200+ lb bluefin tuna off shore. Even pier fishing my tackle box and chairs add a ton of a weight even with several people to carry things so I will typically bring a gardening wagon to help move these items. I do live inland so pier fishing trips can be anywhere from 100 to 200 miles round trip. In the past few years I would travel with my cousin who has a 1500 Sierra so we had plenty of room to bring all of the equipment in any case. He now has other obligations and I feel like it would be nice to be able to go when I am able instead of managing my schedule around his.

Of course there are other times where trucks have uses and I do have the ability to borrow one from someone presently. With the Jeep I obviously was able to transport purchases like beds which I wouldn't try with my Camry although I am sure someone might have tried it in the past. I would also say that in the ten years that I have driven, I can only think of one time I went off roding (it was unintentional actually I went down the wrong road looking for a hiking trail and luckily my old jeep held up at the time). 

In the future I would probably consider towing a small off shore boat occasionally (an estimate no more than 8000 lbs fully equipped with motor). The boats I have been looking at typically are no more than 3500 lbs dry weight.

I know I only need a 4x2 Crewcab and have heard that the best way to buy trucks is to only get what you need it for (i.e. don't get the 4x4 just to have it).

I would just like to hear feedback as to what engine(s) I should consider from both the '18 and '19 models based on my needs I have expressed. 

Thank you guys for your time

Something to consider in  the 4x2 vs 4x4 category, especially when launching a boat is traction at that location.

This is where a 4x4 would come in handy. If the slope is steep and or wet.

You can get by with a 4x2 if the launch is dry and has plenty of traction.

Having a 4x4 on wet and smoother services is just added insurance.

Then again if you back down too far with a 4x4 prepare for a full truck wash!

2016-chevy-silverado-sinks-boat-ramp-640x323.png

Thank you for the reply.

I definitely did not consider that. Thank you for pointing that out. I was so focused on "mudding" being used for 4x4 that I forgot I would have to launch a boat.

Thank you!

There are good deals on '18 model trucks as a new style is being introduced for '19.  I would simply look for the best color and price as I believe any configuration of double or crew cab would meet your needs!  I agree that 4x4 is well worth the cost.

Edited by Donstar

19 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

If you do decide to go 2wd, make sure you get a truck with the g80 locking rear differential so at least you will have 2 tires spinning in one of those situations.   

Thanks for this tip. Just for my knowledge, are u suggesting that the RWD axel spins each side of the axel at different speeds when traction is different to each tire? Just trying to learn more about trucks in general it has been my focus the past few days of investigating trucks.

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

There are good deals on '18 model trucks as a new style is being introduced for '19.  I would simply look for the best color and price as I believe any configuration of double or crew cab would meet your needs!  I agree that 4x4 is well worth the cost.

Thank you Donstar, unfortunately I have to wait at least a few months before being able to purchase so I can't cash in on the 18 deals just yet. But I will definitely take those points into consideration.

1 hour ago, ChuckTuna said:

Thanks for this tip. Just for my knowledge, are u suggesting that the RWD axel spins each side of the axel at different speeds when traction is different to each tire? Just trying to learn more about trucks in general it has been my focus the past few days of investigating trucks.

With any type of differential the power goes to the wheel with the least amount of traction.  One tire on wet pavement and one on dry and you will just spin the tire that's wet. Traction control helps a little, but not much.  A g80 will lock the rear wheels together and you will spin both, no matter what.  Watch some videos on YouTube about it.  

I'd go 4wd myself, but I live in mn

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

With any type of differential the power goes to the wheel with the least amount of traction.  One tire on wet pavement and one on dry and you will just spin the tire that's wet. Traction control helps a little, but not much.  A g80 will lock the rear wheels together and you will spin both, no matter what.  Watch some videos on YouTube about it.  

I'd go 4wd myself, but I live in mn

Thanks I now understand the situation better and I will check it out later tonight. Appreciate the explanation.

4 hours ago, ChuckTuna said:

I would just like to hear feedback as to what engine(s) I should consider from both the '18 and '19 models based on my needs I have expressed.

For what you described, the 5.3 engine would be more than adequate. I wouldn't spend any extra money on the 6.2. you could probably even get by with the 4.3, but I don't think you are saving much on up-front cost or fuel mileage, so I would suggest you stick to the V-8.

But I agree with 4wd if you plan on launching decent sized boats. The rear tires are often in the water and without much weight in the bed, the tires will spin easily. You can pull a 17' fishing boat out of the water with 2wd no problem, but if you think you will have 8,000 lbs back there, you will need a little more traction.

56 minutes ago, aseibel said:

For what you described, the 5.3 engine would be more than adequate. I wouldn't spend any extra money on the 6.2. you could probably even get by with the 4.3, but I don't think you are saving much on up-front cost or fuel mileage, so I would suggest you stick to the V-8.

But I agree with 4wd if you plan on launching decent sized boats. The rear tires are often in the water and without much weight in the bed, the tires will spin easily. You can pull a 17' fishing boat out of the water with 2wd no problem, but if you think you will have 8,000 lbs back there, you will need a little more traction.

Do you think I should even consider the 3.0L Diesel if its capable of what I am going for? I know the numbers haven't been released yet obviously but I probably won't end up pulling the trigger until fall (if I decide on an '18) or next year if I decide on a '19. I am still very concerned as I think many people are about the whole Dynamic Fuel Management and Start/Stop Systems they are implementing.

I seen a video that showed how to turn off the start/stop (on a Ford) which involved connecting a trailer light tester into the truck and just leaving it there to fool the truck into thinking a trailer was hitched. I would assume that would work for the Chevy too but possibly not.

Another question maybe you have an answer to: I noticed from pictures the '19 Chevy's seem to ride pretty low to the ground. Looking at Sierra Dan's picture that truck is pretty submerged in my eyes and definitely not how you would want your truck in lake water let alone salt water. Since I am considering 4x4 now, is lifting the truck a good idea for launching boats?

As my math probably indicates, I don't fully understand the 3.08 axle ratio terminology yet but unless i am mistaken, 32" wheels on a 3.08 axle ratio means it takes 3.08 revolutions at the axle to spin the wheel one full time. So theoretically if I were able to fit 34" tires on the truck ( I don't even know if thats realistic) it should move the ratio to 3.27 rotations per full turn of the 34" tire. If anyone wants to shed light on this whole lifting business and axle ratio I would love to read about it. (I seen people talking about it in a concern thread but I guess I didn't fully understand why it mattered).

Thanks again for all the answers everyone!

4wd is not worth the cost unless it is used fairly regularly. It is nearly a $4k option and you will get maybe half that back on resale (many people boast that is the reason to get it but you are basically spending $1 to get back $.050). Then there is the added cost of financing another $4k, the mpg hit, maintenance costs,, increased insurance and if anything goes out (ever seen the cost of a transfer case or front axle?) the cost to replace. It is much cheaper to pay for a tow the maybe 2 times you may need it for $100 than the 4wd option. We have been boating most of our lives (towing a boat at or close to the limits for most of them), only twice have we needed 4wd and 1 of them it would have done any good (the trailer fell off the end of the ramp under water, it took 2 trucks to tow us with the boat off the trailer).

Most ramps at well used places are grooved concrete, no real traction problems. If it is a shallow ramp where your tires are in the water chances are it is again grooved concrete as well as it is shallow so it isn't like you are trying to pull up a steep ramp from in the water on algae covered asphalt. Many people buy 4wd as an image purchase, especially below the mason dixon line. Granted if you are pulling a large boat near the limits then yeah it can be a benefit but most people are well with in the tow limits on boat size and 4wd isn't doing them any favors. People have been pulling boats with cars and 2wd since the start of time at worse ramps, why all of a sudden now is 4wd mandatory? Make sure it has the G80, it most likely should. That had been used more than 4wd.

Tyler

13 hours ago, ChuckTuna said:

Do you think I should even consider the 3.0L Diesel if its capable of what I am going for? I am still very concerned as I think many people are about the whole Dynamic Fuel Management and Start/Stop Systems they are implementing.

Another question maybe you have an answer to: I noticed from pictures the '19 Chevy's seem to ride pretty low to the ground. Looking at Sierra Dan's picture that truck is pretty submerged in my eyes and definitely not how you would want your truck in lake water let alone salt water. Since I am considering 4x4 now, is lifting the truck a good idea for launching boats?

As my math probably indicates, I don't fully understand the 3.08 axle ratio terminology yet but unless i am mistaken, 32" wheels on a 3.08 axle ratio means it takes 3.08 revolutions at the axle to spin the wheel one full time. So theoretically if I were able to fit 34" tires on the truck ( I don't even know if thats realistic) it should move the ratio to 3.27 rotations per full turn of the 34" tire. If anyone wants to shed light on this whole lifting business and axle ratio I would love to read about it. (I seen people talking about it in a concern thread but I guess I didn't fully understand why it mattered).

I rented a diesel car in Ireland that shut off every time I came to a stop. I was shocked how quick that got going again. It was a stick shift, little car, so I don't know how the trucks will handle that. but there's always a risk with new technology. On the flip side, if they find anything wrong early, there is usually a free fix: recall or service bulletin.

Yes the GM trucks sit lower than some others. Part of that is just the air dam in front which you can remove. I would not spend money to lift a truck because of the few minutes of launching boats. I don't think the rear end is any lower than the competition. The front axle and air dam are the lowest points.

As far as axle ratio, you are kind of off track. The number means your driveshaft turns that many times per every axle rotation (tire rotation.)

Changing to bigger tires does not change this ratio, but it does change how far the truck moves for every rotation of the driveshaft. Bigger tires make it act like you just lowered the gear ratio- (more distance traveled, less torque). So if you plan on putting big tires on, make sure you don't get a 3.08. If you have 3.42, which comes on most of the 4x4 Z71's you will be fine with large tires.

Amxguy is correct above, you don't NEED 4wd. It is basically a luxury. Only you can decide how useful it is for you and if its worth the price. I don't know what the cost increase is because nobody buys 2wd in WI. My dealer doesn't even have any on the lot. In WI, you couldn't give away a 2wd truck. But since you are in CA, that is a different story.

13 hours ago, ChuckTuna said:

Do you think I should even consider the 3.0L Diesel if its capable of what I am going for? I know the numbers haven't been released yet obviously but I probably won't end up pulling the trigger until fall (if I decide on an '18) or next year if I decide on a '19. I am still very concerned as I think many people are about the whole Dynamic Fuel Management and Start/Stop Systems they are implementing.

I seen a video that showed how to turn off the start/stop (on a Ford) which involved connecting a trailer light tester into the truck and just leaving it there to fool the truck into thinking a trailer was hitched. I would assume that would work for the Chevy too but possibly not.

Thanks again for all the answers everyone!

If you will ever have a trailer, stay away from 3.08s.  Can't be stressed enough.  

I don't know the exact math, but if you have 3.08s and go to a 34" tire it would be like 2.85 gears. 34" tires would be a LT tire too, which are really heavy.  

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

4wd is not worth the cost unless it is used fairly regularly. It is nearly a $4k option and you will get maybe half that back on resale (many people boast that is the reason to get it but you are basically spending $1 to get back $.050). Then there is the added cost of financing another $4k, the mpg hit, maintenance costs,, increased insurance and if anything goes out (ever seen the cost of a transfer case or front axle?) the cost to replace. It is much cheaper to pay for a tow the maybe 2 times you may need it for $100 than the 4wd option. We have been boating most of our lives (towing a boat at or close to the limits for most of them), only twice have we needed 4wd and 1 of them it would have done any good (the trailer fell off the end of the ramp under water, it took 2 trucks to tow us with the boat off the trailer).

Most ramps at well used places are grooved concrete, no real traction problems. If it is a shallow ramp where your tires are in the water chances are it is again grooved concrete as well as it is shallow so it isn't like you are trying to pull up a steep ramp from in the water on algae covered asphalt. Many people buy 4wd as an image purchase, especially below the mason dixon line. Granted if you are pulling a large boat near the limits then yeah it can be a benefit but most people are well with in the tow limits on boat size and 4wd isn't doing them any favors. People have been pulling boats with cars and 2wd since the start of time at worse ramps, why all of a sudden now is 4wd mandatory? Make sure it has the G80, it most likely should. That had been used more than 4wd.

Tyler

Thank you for your opinion, I definitely agree with a lot of it. I am almost positive here in So Cal most of the boat ramps are grooved as I think the last one I saw (at Silverwood Lake) was definitely this type. I wouldn't expect any less of a design anywhere along the coast especially San Diego since they have so many people launching watercraft every week. I will definitely get the G80 if I do get a 2wd. I did have the transfer case on my jeep go out (I don't know if there is one on both the front and back of the jeep) my dads fix was to just disconnect it and make the jeep 2 wheel drive, so I am almost positive it must have been kind of expensive. Actually I think he tried to find one at pick-a-part first and without success he opted to do that.

I did have the transmission go out on that jeep and luckily I was able to find a guy right near my house who only charged 1200 (1000 cheaper than anywhere else I looked) and he did a good job.

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I rented a diesel car in Ireland that shut off every time I came to a stop. I was shocked how quick that got going again. It was a stick shift, little car, so I don't know how the trucks will handle that. but there's always a risk with new technology. On the flip side, if they find anything wrong early, there is usually a free fix: recall or service bulletin.

Yes the GM trucks sit lower than some others. Part of that is just the air dam in front which you can remove. I would not spend money to lift a truck because of the few minutes of launching boats. I don't think the rear end is any lower than the competition. The front axle and air dam are the lowest points.

As far as axle ratio, you are kind of off track. The number means your driveshaft turns that many times per every axle rotation (tire rotation.)

Changing to bigger tires does not change this ratio, but it does change how far the truck moves for every rotation of the driveshaft. Bigger tires make it act like you just lowered the gear ratio- (more distance traveled, less torque). So if you plan on putting big tires on, make sure you don't get a 3.08. If you have 3.42, which comes on most of the 4x4 Z71's you will be fine with large tires.

Amxguy is correct above, you don't NEED 4wd. It is basically a luxury. Only you can decide how useful it is for you and if its worth the price. I don't know what the cost increase is because nobody buys 2wd in WI. My dealer doesn't even have any on the lot. In WI, you couldn't give away a 2wd truck. But since you are in CA, that is a different story.

I will watch some more videos on ratio. I would say about 90-95% of my driving ever has been on paved road here in California. So I will definitely treat 4x4 and a lift as luxury if I have too.

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

If you will ever have a trailer, stay away from 3.08s.  Can't be stressed enough.  

I don't know the exact math, but if you have 3.08s and go to a 34" tire it would be like 2.85 gears. 34" tires would be a LT tire too, which are really heavy.  

How do I make sure of this. I was reading on the forums that people who bought the all-star edition had this happen. That 3.08 was standard on that version. 

Does it say the axle ratio on the invoice paper in the window?? I think a few people got chimped out by seeing standard at 3.23 and found out it was 3.08 after they bought it here on these forums.