aval2004

Driver side A/C heats, not cool like passenger

My 2004 Avalanche with dual slide controlled HVAC has intermittent cooling on the driver side since I left it for 17 days at the airport while I was on a trip. The passenger side vents put out cool air at 55 F temp but left actually puts out HOT air at 150 F.  Sometimes, it cools both sides but then may suddenly start with the hot air on driver's side.  Not good when outside air temp is high 90's and above!  Intermittent problem makes it seem like a bad connection or something sticking.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix!

Most likely this: https://www.amazon.com/Air-Door-Actuator-2003-2014-Chevrolet/dp/B073ZWLF2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529682894&sr=1-4&keywords=HVAC+Air+Door+Actuator+2004+avalanche

I had one go out in my Impala. Same symptoms. Was a pig to get to but probably easier in your truck.

41 minutes ago, Brummie99 said:

Most likely this: https://www.amazon.com/Air-Door-Actuator-2003-2014-Chevrolet/dp/B073ZWLF2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529682894&sr=1-4&keywords=HVAC+Air+Door+Actuator+2004+avalanche

I had one go out in my Impala. Same symptoms. Was a pig to get to but probably easier in your truck.

The passenger side actuator is the one that needs replacing for the issue OP is having. You reference the mode door actuator which controls which vents air is directed to.

Dorman- 604-106 should fix OP up, or the equivalent in brand. AC Delco 1572971

Replacement procedure

Posted (edited)

You say you were parked for 17 days, battery go dead by any chance? Before you replace the actuator try this simple procedure and see if it might fix you up.

A re-calibration may fix you up. Try disconnecting the battery for
a few minutes. Reconnect it. Or remove the HVAC/ECAS fuse for a minimum of 10 seconds.

Re-install the HVAC/ECAS fuse.

Then turn the key to the on/run position, but
don't start. Don't touch the HVAC controls. Let them do whatever that
want to do. Air flow may change outlet points during this time. Wait
about 1 minute. Turn key off. Opening and closing the door can
make a difference as the vehicle controls (BCM) see this as "cycle"
completion. Next start the vehicle and drive it a short distance and see
how it performs. You may indeed need to replace an actuator.

Edited by txab

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check it out. Both the actuator and the reset seem like reasonable things to check. The battery did not go dead while it was sitting for the 17 days.  The last two days, the A/C has been working fine so maybe it had just somehow gotten confused and through cycling through off-on several times, it straightened itself out. I just wanted to have a direction to take if it does it again, especially if I am on a several hundred miles trip in 90+ temps. Appreciate the rapid response!

The actuators have plastic gears inside which tend to wear and eventually strip. That's why it's intermittent. Sometimes they slip sometimes not. You will need to replace it eventually. Better now than later in 90+ temps.

I have run into a similar problem with plastic gears in GM popup headlights so that makes sense.  One followup question: Txab mentioned that I needed to replace the one on the passenger side. Does that mean there are two and the bad actuator is on the passenger (cool side) or is it just that it is located in the heater box that is on the passenger side? Thanks again for your help!  BTW,  I hate to pull it out to read the part number without having a replacement already in hand.

Posted (edited)

Actually there are 4 in the system. But the one on the passenger side near the transmission tunnel is the one that causes your issue. I've had the exact problem and this is the problem one. The part numbers I listed above are applicable for your situation.

The issue will most likely appear again. Eventually it will almost be permanent

Generally the problem will clear itself temporarily by turning key off, and again opening and closing door, then starting again. I was on a long trip and this is what I had to do occasionally. The more you fiddle with temp controls the faster it will return

Edited by txab

Thanks, with this info I found some videos showing the placement and the different actuators. At least my problem one is easier to remove.  I have actually done the reset procedure, and at this point, it seems to be working fine. Maybe sitting in Atlanta for that long somehow got it confused.  Will see if it continues, but if it messes up again, I will go ahead and replace the actuator.  Always good to have advice from someone who has experience with an issue.