2018 backup camera sucks

3 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

I have a $60K Denali; my sons' have $22K Subaru Imprezas.  The backup cameras on the Subarus are about 1000% better for night, visual clarity, color, video quality, etc; there's absolutely no comparison.  No other truck brand camera experience, but this is one small thing GM should work on with their trucks.

My 2014 silverado camera was pretty good, could not really complain it wasn't perfect but it was WAY better than the 2018. I will have to talk to the dealer about this. 

There’s a TSB on these that reprograms/adjusts the brightness of the screen I thought it was for 017s and thought if was fixed for 018s but maybe yours falls into this? 

There’s several threads on here about it.

TSB #17-na-269 (backup camera brightness)

I'm going to ask my dealer about this on my next oil change!

And as always... Enjoy your ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Recently bought a 18 SLT and the backup camera sucks, bad.  It's way worse that my 16 which was way worse than my 14... Anyone else notice this?  Maybe if I hadn't had one before it wouldn't be a big deal but especially on the same model of truck, just different years.  I can't see at all when I'm getting really close to something and backing out of my garage is horrendous at night, it's so washed out I can't see anything.

I noticed this as well...what’s really weird about it is my dad had a 2017 Sierra and the camera sucked, I have a 2017 Silverado and the camera is crisp and perfect, then he traded the Sierra for a 2016 GMC Denali Yukon XL and the camera is worse than the Sierra... I guess you just gotta be lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the picture quality. GM is SD where others are HD. I can't speak for Lexus, never drove one, but the Ford cameras are better. So I would think Lexus def would be? Either way, GM has the worst picture quality of any auto camera I have used. I don't have the upgraded camera package tho, not sure if you do? Can't remember what it's even called, just know that if you have it, you can add cameras to the front and sides if you want. I would have added one to the front of my truck, if I wouldn't have had to buy the whole upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is true!! I do have the camera upgrade so maybe that’s why. I also have a front camera too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to dealership tomorrow to have them look at the camera, and told them to change the oil while it's there. They only charge 50 bucks so why not. It has only 150 miles on it I usually wait until 500 or so but next friday we leave for a 900 mile round trip so I figured this work good. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:58 PM, EDDE said:

Going to dealership tomorrow to have them look at the camera, and told them to change the oil while it's there. They only charge 50 bucks so why not. It has only 150 miles on it I usually wait until 500 or so but next friday we leave for a 900 mile round trip so I figured this work good. 

let us know if it fixes the camera problem.

i have a 18 Sierra SLT CC and the camera is ok during the day but at night is terrible, as if overexposed, way to bright and at times makes it difficult to back up. next oil change i will also mention this.

45 minutes ago, obazsm said:

let us know if it fixes the camera problem.

i have a 18 Sierra SLT CC and the camera is ok during the day but at night is terrible, as if overexposed, way to bright and at times makes it difficult to back up. next oil change i will also mention this.

They looked at it they said there's nothing wrong with it. I told them to put it next to the 2014 I trade it in and do a comparison they would not do that. During the day it is okay but not as good as my old truck, at night it's pretty much worthless.trying to figure out how I can get ahold of general motors and bring this up because I'm assuming we are not the only ones.

• Sad 1

Night time rain really SUCKS!!  It is a contrast issue with the rear camera-not the display screen. I hate to say it but we own a 16' Toyota Camry and in the display menu the contrast and color can be adjusted, oh yes, the Toyota rear cam even works beautifully  in the rain.  Factory setting on the Yota blazed the screen with glaring white color at night, adjusted the contrast now its perfectly clear in the darkest areas and the color is better than factory default too.  We should be able to go into the settings on the GM's and adjust the contrast- just like Toyota , I'm sure there are other brands with adjustable contrast/color as well.

Now how do we get GM to take notice and fix this?  I am speaking of a 2018 GMC SLT , and yes the cameras are progressively getting worse= cheaper for GM.   We have run GM trucks since 1965, and have noticed since the advent of OEM rear cameras they are getting crappier as each model year rolls out. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, Klutch said:

Definitely have this issue too but mine is an 18 and the TSB doesn't seem to cover it. Anyone else with the night issue on a 18?

I have a 2017 Sierra and have the same problem! Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the camera??? I wish there was a quick way to disable it quick when a person doesn’t need to use it? It’s so bright when I’m trying to use my mirrors it’s awfully distracting! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I own the 2018 Sierra.  I have to say the camera do suck.. Its glitches and the resolution is bad.  I don't know why people would argue otherwise unless they are working for GMC, even then why wouldn't you want to hear the truth so you can improve. 

My 2018 is crap. Took it in and was given a list of the infotainment versions that have the problem and was shown that my truck has one of the listed versions (IO6) and that they couldn’t do anything about it. To be told that I am just unlucky and ended up with one of the bad versions is BS. I have talked with the service manager at the dealership and he is going to contact GMC. The backup camera is required safety equipment and just like many of you have said, it isn’t just poor quality it is useless and so bright at night that it makes it hard to use the mirrors. If the dealership doesn’t fix it I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau. GMC is aware of the problem and can fix it. They just don’t want to pay for it.

10 minutes ago, Cchristi said:

My 2018 is crap. Took it in and was given a list of the infotainment versions that have the problem and was shown that my truck has one of the listed versions (IO6) and that they couldn’t do anything about it. To be told that I am just unlucky and ended up with one of the bad versions is BS. I have talked with the service manager at the dealership and he is going to contact GMC. The backup camera is required safety equipment and just like many of you have said, it isn’t just poor quality it is useless and so bright at night that it makes it hard to use the mirrors. If the dealership doesn’t fix it I am going to file a complaint with the better business bureau. GMC is aware of the problem and can fix it. They just don’t want to pay for it.

They give you a TSB number about the issue?  About to schedule my first oil change and plan to get them to look at it then