2018 backup camera sucks

I wish I could just turn off the backup camera.  Mine will sometimes not even turn off even after the truck is in Drive and going down the road.  Have to pull over, turn off the truck and restart it for it to turn off.  I do not depend on the cameras, prefer to use my mirrors anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that most of you have nothing better to do with your time than complain about things like a backup camera which serves the purpose of lining up with a trailer and providing a view of what you normally wont see in your mirrors.  If you want to watch a 4k video of you reversing your truck well you probably have deeper issues.  Get over it the camera in the 15 and 18 do the job they are supposed at least that has been my experience.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

For a near $50,000 truck I expect some quality. My 2015 Silverado lease was a lot nicer than the 2018 lease I now have. I'm an old fart and remember and had no problem with the 60 and 70s trucks with no power anything not even power steering and brakes. stick shifts on the floor and bench seats. But here is the big difference ...... they were inexpensive and rugged and cheap to repair. You could order a base truck and build it from there instead of paying for a lot of useless options and poor quality. I was making around 8 to 10 grand a year at Chrysler and my 77 Chevy cost $3,700. 

Yeah my 2018 Silverado back up camera sucks too, why even have it if you can't give us a decent one , or give me the option on not having one and not paying for It?

We are paying big money for shit quality folks, time to complain or move to something else. 

Edited by Beagleman
Error
  • Like 1

I find that most of you have nothing better to do with your time than complain about things like a backup camera which serves the purpose of lining up with a trailer and providing a view of what you normally wont see in your mirrors.  If you want to watch a 4k video of you reversing your truck well you probably have deeper issues.  Get over it the camera in the 15 and 18 do the job they are supposed at least that has been my experience.
Hey, if you like paying for shit, that's your prerogative! If you don't want to see logical complaints, don't click on the thread! Your opinion is no more accurate then anyone else's! If you don't like it, go pound salt!

And as always... Enjoy your ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
Definitely have this issue too but mine is an 18 and the TSB doesn't seem to cover it. Anyone else with the night issue on a 18?
My 18 Denali is terrible at night, bordering on unusable. Daytime use is marginal at best. My 12 Yukon works much better. Do you happen to have the TSB number mentioned above. Will search online as well.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

On 7/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, Klutch said:

Recently bought a 18 SLT and the backup camera sucks, bad.  It's way worse that my 16 which was way worse than my 14... Anyone else notice this?  Maybe if I hadn't had one before it wouldn't be a big deal but especially on the same model of truck, just different years.  I can't see at all when I'm getting really close to something and backing out of my garage is horrendous at night, it's so washed out I can't see anything.

Drive a 2014/2015 and you will like your backup camera more. The were way worse.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, Donstar said:

I find the picture quality of my backup camera great for the purpose it serves.  I am not dependent on my camera to park but it is a useful feature.  It definitely is helpful when hooking up the travel trailer when I'm on my own!  If the picture quality is noticeably degraded than another same generation truck then take the new truck back for warranty repairs.  

I agree, my 18 SLT is pretty good too...not as good as my Accord but almost and certainly very acceptable. I back out of a dark driveway every morning and can easily see pea gravel and pine needles even in the dark and my back-up lights are stock. Not sure if it matters but my build date is 08/09/2018 but I would guess it's the same camera.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EDDE said:

I just bought a 2018 and the camera is HORRIBLE, my 2014 was 100% better. It's like it's to bright or? IDK it really sucks.

If your 14 was better you have a problem. Go get it looked at. 

12 hours ago, EDDE said:

I just bought a 2018 and the camera is HORRIBLE, my 2014 was 100% better. It's like it's to bright or? IDK it really sucks.

There’s a TSB on these that reprograms/adjusts the brightness of the screen I thought it was for 017s and thought if was fixed for 018s but maybe yours falls into this? 

There’s several threads on here about it.

TSB #17-na-269 (backup camera brightness)

I have a $60K Denali; my sons' have $22K Subaru Imprezas.  The backup cameras on the Subarus are about 1000% better for night, visual clarity, color, video quality, etc; there's absolutely no comparison.  No other truck brand camera experience, but this is one small thing GM should work on with their trucks.

• Like 1