2018 backup camera sucks

Recently bought a 18 SLT and the backup camera sucks, bad.  It's way worse that my 16 which was way worse than my 14... Anyone else notice this?  Maybe if I hadn't had one before it wouldn't be a big deal but especially on the same model of truck, just different years.  I can't see at all when I'm getting really close to something and backing out of my garage is horrendous at night, it's so washed out I can't see anything.

My 17 is the same shitty ass low def quality as what my 15 had... I put a pioneer HU in my 2011 and had a 1080 picture with my camera before, so I was very disappointed when I came to GM. If you find a way to upgrade the quality without havking up the factory wiring, please let everyone know!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I find the picture quality of my backup camera great for the purpose it serves.  I am not dependent on my camera to park but it is a useful feature.  It definitely is helpful when hooking up the travel trailer when I'm on my own!  If the picture quality is noticeably degraded than another same generation truck then take the new truck back for warranty repairs.  

• Like 1

Yes, quality sucks. I have a 2018 and it's worse than several older and cheaper cars I've owned. It serves it's purpose and works but I'm disappointed on how crappy it looks. Wish there was a way to upgrade it.
I've been looking since 2015... Only way I've found so far is a replacement aftermarket camera. Which needs a new mount location, and the wire has to be run to the HU. 2 think I'm capable of doing, but won't!

I haven't noticed poor quality, and my last vehicle was a Lexus LS460. What's the issue? Not clear? I've driven a lot of new vehicles ranging from Nissan to Hyundai. I don't notice much of a difference between any of them. I will say Nissan gives you several camera angles, which is kind of nice (if you don't consider it distracting). Honda gives you rear and side angles now. 

I haven't noticed poor quality, and my last vehicle was a Lexus LS460. What's the issue? Not clear? I've driven a lot of new vehicles ranging from Nissan to Hyundai. I don't notice much of a difference between any of them. I will say Nissan gives you several camera angles, which is kind of nice (if you don't consider it distracting). Honda gives you rear and side angles now. 
It's the picture quality. GM is SD where others are HD. I can't speak for Lexus, never drove one, but the Ford cameras are better. So I would think Lexus def would be? Either way, GM has the worst picture quality of any auto camera I have used. I don't have the upgraded camera package tho, not sure if you do? Can't remember what it's even called, just know that if you have it, you can add cameras to the front and sides if you want. I would have added one to the front of my truck, if I wouldn't have had to buy the whole upgrade.

I'm not even trying to compare my truck to people haulers or even other brands.  I've owned a 14, 16 and now 18 Sierra and each one has gotten worse.  Trucks have different needs than a car but I wouldn't expect an identical truck to get worse.  Maybe I'll try to find a camera out of a 14 and replace it, assuming it's the camera itself.

28 minutes ago, xMEATxHAMMERx said:

It's the picture quality. GM is SD where others are HD. I can't speak for Lexus, never drove one, but the Ford cameras are better. So I would think Lexus def would be? Either way, GM has the worst picture quality of any auto camera I have used. I don't have the upgraded camera package tho, not sure if you do? Can't remember what it's even called, just know that if you have it, you can add cameras to the front and sides if you want. I would have added one to the front of my truck, if I wouldn't have had to buy the whole upgrade.

Ok. Yeah a front camera would be great. Don’t think I have the option of upgrading it (2018 LT).

Ok. Yeah a front camera would be great. Don’t think I have the option of upgrading it (2018 LT).
I think it has to do with the level of tow package you have, not the trim of the truck. But I could be wrong. Do a Google search for "add front camera 18 Silverado" and you will get the info on it. If you have the package, each camera is considerably cheap. If you don't, I think it's like 500 for the processor, or whatever it is called. And it is plug and play, just a costly mod. I guess it's worth depends on how often you try to park in tight spots.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Klutch said:

I'm not even trying to compare my truck to people haulers or even other brands.  I've owned a 14, 16 and now 18 Sierra and each one has gotten worse.  Trucks have different needs than a car but I wouldn't expect an identical truck to get worse.  Maybe I'll try to find a camera out of a 14 and replace it, assuming it's the camera itself.

Please report  this to GM customer service and let us know their response. I doubt there is any technical reason other than a malfunction with your new truck.  Get it repaired.   I rent cars and trucks when I travel and have yet to find a backup picture that I would consider better than my '15 Sierra.

All I know is the backup camera on my truck is 1,000x better than the backup camera on my brother's Tundra. My dad's f150 is about equal in quality to my Silverado, but he only has the small non-touch screen in his center stack.

53 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

My 2017 camera was terrible at night. It was so bright, it blinded me. There was a TSB I had applied and it made it 100% better.

Definitely have this issue too but mine is an 18 and the TSB doesn't seem to cover it. Anyone else with the night issue on a 18?